Large Lopi 'X' Model Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ddemmith

Oct 2, 2009
MI
I am currently burning with a mid 80's large Lopi 'X' model (double door) with the vents on both the top and bottom. This thing cranks out some serious heat, and easily gets hot enough to get a secondary burn going when the top vents are open though there are no secondary burn tubes or a full baffle across the top. Question I have is how much will be gained (heat, wood consumption) if I were to update to a newer EPA stove or creating a secondary burn baffle/tube system in this old stove even though I can successfully get the surface temperature hot enough to get a secondary burn going?

Has anyone put just a top baffle in an old stove w/o the secondary tubes? This might be an easy way to gain a slight bit of efficiency.

I love this old stove and its large capacity(easily burns over night), just wondering how much better or worse life would be with a new stove in its place. Unit looks similar to one in the picture.

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• Lopi.jpg
    Lopi.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 4,058
Status
Not open for further replies.