Large vs Small Splits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RIJEEP

Oct 18, 2009
Lil' Rhody
Does it make a difference?

I have been using smaller splits to get the stove up to temp. Once up to temp, (500+F) the stove burns large or small splits while maintainging a good stovetop temp, .

I read that EPA stove prefer smaller splits? Any reason why?

Smaller on 1st load, (2) medium & 1 large most of the time after that. Larger for over nights.

If it fits, it will burn given a decent base of coals. Many small burns hotter/faster than one big.

RIJEEP said:
I read that EPA stove prefer smaller splits?

Where did you read that? I fill a 3.5cf firebox with three, sometime two, splits. I split everything huge. I figure if I want a small split for something I can re-split the big one easier than nailing small ones back together. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
I split everything huge.

What is huge? And does it really make a difference in drying time?

SolarAndWood said:
BrotherBart said:
I split everything huge.

What is huge? And does it really make a difference in drying time?

I never had measured any before so I just measured the night load. Nine to ten inches. Nine inch log in the middle and a couple of five by tens on edge on each side of it tonight. Leaves just the right amount of air space between them loaded N/S. Sometimes I just use a couple of nine or so inch logs or square splits. I don't load higher than the top of the firebrick. If I can help it.

Seasoning time isn't an issue since I am split and stacked three years out with all oak.

Likewise. That's a couple of big splits burning in my avatar. Drying time depends on the wood species, but a couple years is a good idea for big splits unless it's something like doug fir or alder.

BrotherBart said:
Seasoning time isn't an issue since I am split and stacked three years out with all oak.

It would seem that time is always the key. I got far enough ahead this year that I started splitting 6x6s out of the dense big diameter rounds. I figure I'll keep splitting the less dense stuff smaller so it can always burned within a year while I get that 3 yr stock built up. Your splits must be somewhere around 20 lbs?

SolarAndWood said:
BrotherBart said:

It would seem that time is always the key. I got far enough ahead this year that I started splitting 6x6s out of the dense big diameter rounds. I figure I'll keep splitting the less dense stuff smaller so it can always burned within a year while I get that 3 yr stock built up. Your splits must be somewhere around 20 lbs?

I will weigh a few tomorrow and see.

BrotherBart said:
RIJEEP said:
I read that EPA stove prefer smaller splits?

Where did you read that? I fill a 3.5cf firebox with three, sometime two, splits. I split everything huge. I figure if I want a small split for something I can re-split the big one easier than nailing small ones back together. :lol:

I could have sworn I ran across that info here somewhere...only because I never followed the advice before, then the idea was in my head...

Maybe from the video post of the top down fire demo. It featured a woman who ran the stove and a guy who hosted it... I could find it but I am in a rush right now. She loads her stove with many small splits.

In any event, Im pretty happy with what I learned b/c I have lots of bigger splits for my hot stove / overnights.

It probably depends on your stove and manufacturer. For my Jotul Castine they recommend a 14-19" length log, 4-5" diameter, 2-3 pieces per load, burnt at 40% open air, reload every 45 minutes. If you do exactly this, the stove works remarkably efficiently. However, you can certainly burn smaller or larger splits and load the firebox more if you like. It depends what you are trying to accomplish and what your wood supply looks like. If it fits in the firebox, I shove it in and burn it. While I enjoy splitting wood, I don't like doing it all the time, particularly at night in the dark, lol.

Hey, thanks to all with the replies!

Attachments

• aaa 002.jpg
    aaa 002.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 320
I start out with smaller splits on restarts and then burn whatever size I've got . . . right now the splits and rounds are on the small size since they were what I cut and split for last winter in late Summer . . . and I purposefully split them small as my thinking was that by doing so it would season them a bit faster in case I needed that wood for late Spring burning.

My own opinion . . . small splits are great for starting the fire. But generally, if you have it, medium sized splits are nicer to use when you're around the house . . . and larger splits for the overnight fires. That said, smaller splits do offer some advantages -- namely being they tend to season faster (if time is an issue . . . and it usually is in the first year or two of burning) and if you're of the Fill-every-nook-and-cranny sort of thinking it is easier to fill the firebox with small splits. I'm not a FENAC guy, but I do find that sometimes having smaller splits fills up the firebox a lot easier than trying to get that third large split into the firebox.

Status
Not open for further replies.