Large wood furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bad LP

Minister of Fire
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Maine
A friend was thinking about a gasification boiler to heat his home and very large garage. Problem is they would require about a total of 300 feet of underground piping. So the conversation shifted a little bit to a boiler for the house located in the house with proper storage.

Given that the garage doesn't need to be heated like the house and just enough to keep the chill off at around 50 a furnace makes a great deal of sense. It's a big space 60 X 100 with 14 foot doors. Duct work is cheap, no pumps, no underground piping and no outdoor building for the boiler.

Who is making large gasification wood furnaces?

I'm not sure you're going to be able to heat that garage independently for less than the cost of the PEX and a heat exchanger.

Is the garage being used every day? If so my suggestion would be to install a large gasser and storage inside the garage. You could easily adjust your storage insulation to maintain adequate heat in the garage while directing the rest of the heat to the house as-needed.

SBI makes the Max Caddy and/or the HeatPro...'bout the biggest ones I can think of...Yukon Polar might do it, although that's not a gasser (yet) rumor has it Yukon has new stuff to be out soon...