Larger and larger basements

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Looks nice. I always thought with better original designs (taller basement walls, better drainage, outside wall insulation and waterproofing) basements would be good living spaces. Otherwise, you are just asking for trouble later on.

But having to retrofit all these things is really hard and expensive. But like the article says, they are rich.

I was working on some rough drawings for a new, smaller home and was planning on having the bedrooms on the lower level and kitchen/dining/living on the upper level. In winter, I want the day living spaces warmer and since heat rises, that means on the upper floors. Most people prefer their bedrooms slightly cooler, which works for the lower floors. A few centuries ago, everything was designed opposite because the entire house was cold in the winter and what little heat they had, needed to go to the bedrooms.
In the summer, heat still rises and you want the bedrooms to be in the coolest part, which is on the lower floors. In all seasons, you want the living areas to get maximum light and that's not a priority for bedrooms.

The problem is with local and national building codes - at least here in Canada. I know when I built our house 30 yrs ago, there were minimum codes for bedroom window sizes in new houses. Part of this was to ensure more daylight but part was to ensure emergency escape through large enough windows in the event of fire. Two of my bedrooms were at the minimum limit and those windows were decently large.

I bought my stove from a guy who owned a monster house. Four people living there with over 4,000 sq ft of basement. People have gone completely off their rockers on the size of new homes IMHO. Still, I can't see living underground until rigor mortise sets in.;lol

Combination- earth home- some what popular back in the late 70's- not all areas would allow code wise and of course whatever subdivision ( if that is to be location ) rules might be enforce at any particular time. Recently just seen one set specifying minimum first and second floor sizes besides all the setbacks, drive material , exterior finish and on and on. Reminds me of the subdivisions built just after the Korean war- which gave rise to the line in a popular song " all the little houses made of ticky-tacky".

Our county has had a minimum size of 2000 sq ft for 4 decades now. I think that the growing trend in minimalist homes mayforce that to change. I listened to a radio interview about a local architect who uses shipping containers for all his projects.
I was contemplating an earth home 35 yrs ago. We went to see one being constructed. The guy had pre cast concrete slabs installed for the bedroom floors and the roof. The problem was that there were a few inches difference in height between some slabs after installation. Not so easy to fix.
My wife said, how do you repair a leak with a foot of soil on the roof? I couldn't give her a good answer to that so the idea got dropped.
I ended up building a berm wall 4 ft high on the north side. It has worked very well. The design with the lay of the land allows wind to blow over the house, not blow against it. Unless of course the wind comes from the South or East. South wind are almost always warm but ice storms are almost always from the east. Not so much fun!

Perhaps a good thing as far as the tax man. Hey, it's just a basement! You can't tax me on that!

That's an interesting thought when you consider what they can do with stamped and dyed concrete. I wonder what makes a space qualify as finished.

That's an interesting thought when you consider what they can do with stamped and dyed concrete. I wonder what makes a space qualify as finished.

In order for a basement to be qualified as living space up here, it needs at least 2 egress routes, so bilco doors, a big dug out window or separate entrance.

To Doug- 2000 Sq ft as a minimum??? That's crazy.. how rich is your county??

Basements here in the northern climates are from the need of footings to be below the frost line. Might as well use it instead of back filling it. Sub basements may seem cool or even sneaky but they're very expensive, cold, wet and miserable. Believe it or not soil wicks heat away worse than air.

If I was building new and wanted a heated basement it would be well insulated on the outside or poured with styrofoam block forms so that their is no thermal contact with the soil. Preferably this basement would be located on south sloping property that would afford a daylight side facing south to allow solar warming during the winter.

Reactions: Laszlo and Highbeam
There are expanding foam products now available that were classified material in the 60's and 70's. I have type at home that could be used completely by it's self for exterior shell construction( closed cell ) Sorry I do not have MFG or spec on it. At the time it was used between the inner and out hulls of the first nuke powered subs. Likely even better stuff around now do to the advances in polymers.

People have gone completely off their rockers on the size of new homes IMHO.

My neighbor just tore down the 3200 sq. ft. home on his property (which was admittedly a terrible design), and is almost done building the 4500 sq. ft. replacement. It's just him and his wife in a 3 bedroom home. 2 of the bedrooms are identical master suites, so they can live upstairs and have the nicer view for now, and move downstairs as age catches up with them.

I pale just at the thought of trying to find enough furniture to make a 4500 square foot home not feel empty.

I think our 1800 sq ft will start to feel a bit crowded as our family grows, but right now it's a nice size. Yeah, some of the rooms could be a little bigger, and a full utility room would be great, but I couldn't imagine living in the monster next door.

I pale just at the thought of trying to find enough furniture to make a 4500 square foot home not feel empty.
And thus Walmart was invented to clad the sheet rock palaces of the masses.

If I was building new and wanted a heated basement it would be well insulated on the outside or poured with styrofoam block forms so that their is no thermal contact with the soil. Preferably this basement would be located on south sloping property that would afford a daylight side facing south to allow solar warming during the winter.
...and would be located under paid for 2 acre lot in Tahiti.

Bingo! The last thing I want is a "finished" basement. That's why I'm doing industrial modern on my 1500+ space. Its all open concept, so it would be a shame to start putting up walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.