Larger stove in fireplace or smaller out of fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mansfield in fireplace or Phoenix out about 16 inches?

• Phoenix - you will lose too much heat from the Mansfield!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmann

Jan 23, 2014
Rockville, MD
We are debating the Mansfield 8012 vs Phoenix 8612 currently. Both will fit in our fireplace. The Mansfield is a top down collar only so it will have to sit all the way in the fireplace. The phoenix has an angled collar allowing the stove to sit out of the fireplace. Both will cost us about the exact same price - as the phoenix would require a hearth to cover our combustible wood floor.

Mansfield is 80,000 BTU and rated at 2,500 sq feet
Phoenix is 60,000 BTU and rated at 2,000 sq feet

Our home is 2,200 sq feet in Maryland.

For the same price is Mansfield more bang for the buck, or is the Phoenix going to serve more heat as it will sit out in the room more. I'm getting mixed messaging on how much radiant heat will be lost in the external chimney. Our installer will insulate in the chimney around the liner.

Thanks in advance.

Here is our fireplace currently (the foil is to keep the "bugs" out for my wife - LOL).

photo (2).JPG

-don

If it were me, I'd be going with the mansfield and also purchase the optional fan. But, if your house is extremely tight, or this is a smaller room that the fireplace is in, or the floor plan is very not open, etc, the phoenix might really be your better option, however, I tend to prefer too much stove, but not everyone does.

I'm oozing with jealousy. I want one of these suckers! Beautiful stoves.

In all, maybe some more info on what your heating goals are and what your home layout is like could be helpful.

What about the Manchester? That has a reversible flue and is as big as the Mansfield.

What about the Manchester? That has a reversible flue and is as big as the Mansfield.

I wish - love the look of the Manchester! But it is too tall and we don't have room for the side-loading door in our fireplace either.

We put in an order for the Mansfield yesterday..

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.