Larger Top Loading alternatives?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zzr7ky

Minister of Fire
Jun 12, 2006
Hi -

I'm burning a VC Resolute Acclaim (2004)... Heating about 2,000 square feet.

I like the stove. However I'm looking at the need to replace my combustor and the desire for more heat overnight and I'm looking at VC Encore...

I love the Top Loading feature. I'm wondering if there are other lower maintenance/cost top loading stoves with about 3 cubic feet of box space?

Thanks,
Mike

The Isle Royal is a 3.0 cu ft. burner with a top loader, but I don't know that I would throw it into a "low cost" group.

Also check out the VC Defiant cat and non cat.

I'd also suggest looking at the Quadrafire Isle Royale. Although we ended up recently buying a Jotul Oslo, we almost went for the IR. If I was unwilling to give up the top loading feature, it would have been a no-brainer.

Wow. That Isle Royale looks great. I had never seen one and am glad the o.p. posted the question.
I had looked at the Harmon Oakwood but wasn't sure it would burn much longer than the Resolute. I was tempted by the Woodstock deal but don't really like the look and wondered how much we'd miss the top loading. I'm glad to learn of this option.
I'm curious how it achieves the secondary combustion. I guess I'll go try to dig up the IPL.

That Isle Royale does look sweet. It has a similar look to the Lopi Leyden. I saw one (Isle Royale) at a dealer last year. Overall, it is put together very well. (I didn't see/feel it burn). My main problem with it, however, was that it has a lot of moving parts, similar to my old Resolute Acclaim. That always seemed like the weak point in the Resolute- too many parts to wear out. In a thread that I participated in over the winter, someone mentioned that the hot metal parts flipping around made them nervous. It made me nervous too. The Isle Royale has burn tubes that move similar to the Resolute Acclaim. I wasn't sure how durable they are.

All that said, the reviews of the IR are pretty good. I would go see one in person, and ideally see one up and running to see how it loads when it's hot.

Good luck with your decision.

Brian VT- I was also "iffy" about the Woodstock looks. It's a different look- not ugly, just different from the very handsome (in my opinion) Resolute Acclaim. I don't miss the old Resolute though. I also miss the top loading, but since I don't load the new Woodstock Fireview nearly as much, it isn't too big of a deal.The Woodstock is easy to operate and is REALLY easy on wood consumption. Not to mention the never ending parts replacement on the Resolute! Uggghhh.

jdinspector said:
My main problem with it, however, was that it has a lot of moving parts, similar to my old Resolute Acclaim.

Hmmm...not sure about the "lots of moving parts"....Other than doors and air control (primary and startup), the only moving part is the lever that is used to flip the secondary tubes out of the way (called a bypass) for top loading. It flips the ENTIRE baffle holding the tubes around the central pivot point which also is the secondary air feed. Pretty darn simple, and very heavily built.

I will be honest, the top load feature is not my goto option for feeding the stove, but I have used it. It has a VERY sturdy feel when the bypass lever is engaged. As far as burn tubes goes...I have banged mine for 7 (I think) seasons now, and they are still in very good condition.

I am NOT a salesman for IR, and have probably suggested other stoves at a 10:1 ratio over the IR, but I will vouch for the durability, build quality, and overall performance of this stove. It has been a GREAT purchase with nothing other than typical cleaning maintenance to maintain and I expect MANY more years from this stove. Heck, I still have the original firebrick...Which I am guessing may need to be replaced in another 3 or 4 seasons. (p.s. Some have reported that the firebrick seems "soft", or fragile...I dunno, maybe, but I sure ain't the gentle type when it comes to loading.)

I hope this didn't come off as a sales pitch, it was not intended to. Simply relaying a real life, long term use of the stove.

We looked the Isle Royale very closely for our house. It was on the very short list. Ultimately fate and Tom made our choice easy, otherwise we might have had a big IR on the hearth. The stove is well-made and a good looker.

I saw an IR in the showroom and the enamel was nice except where it was chipped off at the latch between the front doors. The Double doors seem to be a weakness for me since all of these stoves have hignes with some slop in them it would seem that leaks are much more likely with the double door. It is hard enough to keep a single door gasket from leaking.

They had the monster quad plate steel stove there too. Talk about a huge firebox.

Highbeam said:
The Double doors seem to be a weakness for me since all of these stoves have hignes with some slop in them it would seem that leaks are much more likely with the double door. It is hard enough to keep a single door gasket from leaking.

I am still on the original gaskets and will gar-own-tee they pass the dollar bill test. The locking mechanism for the doors is one of the most "positive" locks that I have ever felt for a stove door.

On the floor model, the latch was apparently closed while the door was open and then when it was closed the actual catch of teh latch sticks out far enough to chip the face of the first door to close. Meaning, you have to have the door handle in the open position when you close it or the latch mechanism will slam into the front of the stove.

My stove has pi$$ poor latches. So I am jealous of positive locks.

Highbeam said:
On the floor model, the latch was apparently closed while the door was open and then when it was closed the actual catch of teh latch sticks out far enough to chip the face of the first door to close. Meaning, you have to have the door handle in the open position when you close it or the latch mechanism will slam into the front of the stove.

Yep, this can happen with the IR.

I don't have one of those fancy enameled ones, so I guess it has never been an issue to me.

What do you think about the Sedore stove?

I've never owned one, so this is just a one-man, outside opinion, nothing more. The stove appears functional and interesting, but ugly. My wife would wince if it was in our (non-car) garage.

If more discussion desired on the Sedore, please start a new thread. It is an interesting stove.

Highbeam said:

My stove has pi$$ poor latches. So I am jealous of positive locks.
Lots of stoves have this issue where the latch can hit a spot and scratch or chip the finish. Keep in mind that the display models in the shops have often been sitting there for years, sometimes many years, and have had their doors opened and closed sometimes dozens of times in a day, all by people who are unfamiliar with that model, or even with stoves in general. So, the amount of damage you see might be equivalent to decades of real use by a familiar owner.

Just a thought.

My wife would do it on day one and I would be looking at a chipped stove for decades. Ha! I know what you mean though.

Status
Not open for further replies.