Largest fireplace insert less than 26" in height

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

riddei63

Mar 28, 2014
Nashua, NH
Hi all,

I thought that my fireplace was big, but apparently not that big. Some of the biggest wood burning inserts are taller than the 26" height I have.

I've attached a pdf with the dimensions of the firebox, what would be the biggest options (most heat, long burn times, etc):
26" tall
40" wide
19" deep
25" wide at back
More detailed info attached.

Exterior chimney, great room on the side of a 2,800 colonial 15' tall ceiling, with a ceiling fan. What other information??? Thank you for your help and knowledge.

-Ian

Attachments

• fireplace.pdf
    58.2 KB · Views: 125
It looks like a PE Summit would just fit there. Check the back width and height at 18" deep.
Capture.JPG
An Osburn 2400 insert may also work. Its depth is adjustable.

Hello, welcome to the forum! :)

Mostly looking at height and depth I think those other inserts with a firebox ~3 cu ft would fit:

Lopi Freedom and I think also their Large Flush Wood insert: http://www.lopistoves.com/product-detail.aspx?model=422#dim-tab
Quadrafire 5100i
Regency I3100
If you want to go really big look at the Buck91 but it will need an 8-inch liner. http://www.buckstove.com/model-91.html#.UzXRxVcm31w
(Looking at the Buck: Which ones did you look at that don't fit?)

With an exterior chimney an insulated liner is highly recommended. As is a block-off plate: https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/make-a-damper-sealing-block-off-plate/

You will also need seasoned wood with a moisture content of less than 20%. Do you already have several cords of split firewood sitting in your yard to dry?

Awesome. I was looking at the Kuma Sequoia, and some of the largest Jotul inserts, and they were a no-go. I'll look into your suggestions.

Just moved to this house last Spring. I bought 2 cords of wood, and only used about a 1/2 cord, for aesthetics due to the inefficiency of the open fireplace. Also, the previous owners had another house in town built. I think they moved out of this house way before they put it on the market, thus our pre-buy of propane purchased in July was way too little. The last propane delivery by itself could have paid for a base model insert!

Last edited:
No mention of the Hearthstone Sequoia. My wife likes the look of that model in red enamel. ***Edit (Hearthstone Clydesdale)

Last edited:
I thought of the Kuma Sequoia, but it has some high, side combustible clearances if I recall correctly. Did you mean the Hearthstone Clydesdale?

Awesome. I was looking at the Kuma Sequoia, and some of the largest Jotul inserts, and they were a no-go. I'll look into your suggestions.

Just moved to this house last Spring. I bought 2 cords of wood, and only used about a 1/2 cord, for aesthetics due to the inefficiency of the open fireplace. Also, the previous owners had another house in town built. I think they moved out of his house way before they put it on the market, thus our pre-buy of propane purchased in July was way too little. The last propane delivery by itself could have paid for a base model insert!

If you plan on using the insert as main heating source you will probably need at least 4 cords per winter for a big stove and your climate. I would buy those as soon as the snow is gone to give it some time to dry over the summer. Won't be quite enough but will do. Ask for ash as that has less moisture to begin with. Get also another 4 cords for the winter after.

No mention of the Hearthstone Sequoia.

Do you mean the Clydesdale? That has only a 2.4 cu ft firebox; nice insert, but too small for your house, IMHO.

Last edited:
I thought of the Kuma Sequoia, but it has some high, side combustible clearances if I recall correctly. Did you mean the Hearthstone Clydesdale?

I looked at the Kuma but it is probably too deep at 23" (although that could be the whole insert, not just the depth of the fireplace.) May be worth calling.

Yes, too many names. Hearthstone Clydesdale is the one my wife likes the look of. Kuma Sequoia won't fit, and on an aside I can't seem to find one on a dealer floor to look at. Called Kuma, and they never returned my call. Stove equivalent of vaporware? I'll get some more wood ASAP.

I think you will want more than the Clydesdale unless this is mostly for weekends and evening chill chasing. It's a good unit, but not the largest that will fit. Kuma is a small company. Send them an email and ask to be called back. Country makes some big inserts too. Check them out. They are sold by Lennox dealers. The Lopi Freedom should fit too.

Thinking the wife will like the Lopi large flush insert the best. The clean look will be appealing. Pretty incredible that it can take up to 24"logs! Thank you for pointing these out.

Thinking the wife will like the Lopi large flush insert the best. The clean look will be appealing. Pretty incredible that it can take up to 24"logs! Thank you for pointing these out.

Glad you found something the wife likes. That can be the biggest hurdle. ;) Lopi is part of Travis who also have two other brands. Those seem to sell pretty much the same insert just with a slightly different look. Maybe there is a dealer near you who carries one brand, but not the other. Thus, I wanted to point those out:

http://www.fireplacex.com/ProductGuide/ProductDetail.aspx?modelsku=99800177#Documents
http://www.avalonfirestyles.com/product-detail.aspx?model=350#dim-tab

Status
Not open for further replies.