Larvae in unknown species.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-fan-atic

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I have GOT to find that damned wire for my camera! I have some scrounged wood from a downed tree from a storm last year. It is a decidious tree with a very thick, rather easily removed light brown bark. Inside the split, the wood is a pale yellow. The damned larvae are under the bark on EVERY piece. Ive only come across 2-3 actual beetles and they are NOT( TO MY KNOWLEDGE) ALB or EAB. This beetle was longer (3/4"), thinner, than the ALB or EAB.And all one color(brown). Can anyone help identify wood or larvae/beetle?

They look similar to the ALB. White,varying sizes up to an inch or so, usually brownish/ black dot by face/head.

go to images.google.com and see if the longhorn beetle larvae and adults look like what you are seeing... I'm not an insect expert, just trying to help out.

If it has a long antennae (in some cases as long as the body) it may be a member of the longhorned or round headed beatle family. There are many species in this group, most of which are wood borers (the larvae). With a good picture and the species wood they were found in, I may be able to give you a better I.D. Z

The larvae ALL look alike. But the beetle itself was ALL one color. Im hoping that these little bastards are relatively harmless, and wont escape and devastate the old oaks and maples in my neighborhood. Anybody have any guesses on the wood species??

I think that most likely you have found one of the many native types of beetle larvae. These are probably already found in your neighborhood where favorable conditions exist, so they are nothing neew and won't devastate the trees. In fact, for these beetles faavorable conditions seem to be dead wood, so they won't damage the trees at all, I suspect. I have found beetles in old wood I have picked up, but generally not in trees that were alive when cut.

Thats a relief, wood duck! I hope ur right! I have found a few larvae in a huge, soft wound in a beauty , old maple out front. There were just a few (3-4) that i found. You dont suppose my tree is in any danger, do you?

I see a beetle that looks like ALB in my down pine, but the spots are darker it's something like Northeastern LB. You could have a related species. Is it going for live or dead wood? (cut how long ago?)

This particular pic is from an old, soft wound on a glorious 60 yr. old maple on my front lawn. Im worried about her. She has got a dead limb or two up top, but other than that , appears healthy and strong.

Here's my girl and her favorite meal!

Attachments

• 0ct.4,2010 213.jpg
    0ct.4,2010 213.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 178
  • 0ct.4,2010 235.jpg
    0ct.4,2010 235.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 175
Status
Not open for further replies.