Laser Heat Sensors - What to buy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

allan

Jan 6, 2008
EUP of MI
I'm looking for an accruate hand held temperature sensor to measure the pipe temperature on both copper and blk iron pipe. I want to see what heat loss I have and what temperatures I extracting from my heat exchanger. I'm interested in finding out what people are using and what they like or don't like about them. I appreciate all comments.

I ordered the one below from Home Depot. It has been working pretty well, but at times I don't think it's quite accurate (differs from the reading on the boiler gauge). I use it not so much for actual temperature, but to see the heat loss from supply and return, which works pretty good. On other threads here, it is mentioned to put masking tape or flat black paint where you intend to take the measurements. The shiny surfaces of copper and even some black iron will throw the thermometer off. I used the blue painters masking tape, works so far.

IR Thermometer

Status
Not open for further replies.