Last Burn For A Long Time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Battenkiller

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2009
Just Outside the Blue Line
Just went downstairs to fill the stove for the last time. Pulling up stakes on this circus tomorrow morning. She's cruising along at 750° and tomorrow morning I will shovel out the coals, let her cool down, and vacuum her out for the next guy. Hope he treats her well and that she keeps him and his family warm. That's about all you could hope for when you say goodbye to a good stove. :)

Keeping you guys in my thoughts, Battenkiller.

Best wishes on your new adventure! Your new house looks ideal, enjoy!!! What a world of difference from just a few short months ago.

Yup, as i learned this summer, parting with an old stove (especially the Vig) is like having a family member move out of the house. You have done so much to care for them over the years and now you are trusting them in the hands of someone else. Kind of like marrying off a daughter (of which I have three who are far away from anything like that, but still sits in a father's mind nonetheless).

Best of luck with your new adventure!

Good luck BK - best wishes for the move and leave a good set of instructions on the stove for the new owner, with formulae for maximum heat output and determination of wet vs. dry basis for moisture content of wood! Cheers!

Good luck with the move BK.

Hang in there BK. Good Luck with the move. Man I HATE moving !!!

Guess I missed the pictures of the new place, good luck with the move, you will have Christmas in the new place.

good luck bk. looks like weather is not gonna be too bad.

Hope you get all settled in before Christmas so you can relax and enjoy the holiday. Personally, I give you about a month before your wood stove addiction kicks in and you get a stove. :lol:

Kinda sad, but progress can be like that. Good luck with the move. Hope you never have to do it again.

You are off on a new adventure Batten. Have a nice steady blend of caffiene throughout the morning and afternoon, take your time, and enjoy. It won't all happen in a few days. But have fun. Life is making the best of the situation, and having fun doing it! The very best to you and yours. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

NH_Wood said:
Good luck BK - best wishes for the move and leave a good set of instructions on the stove for the new owner, with formulae for maximum heat output and determination of wet vs. dry basis for moisture content of wood! Cheers!

Leave the link for Hearth.com for the new guy.

Wait, isn't the guy taking over the house the shepherd or something like that for the property owner that gave you the boot? Forget it, let him figure it out. >:-(

Enjoy the new place. Maybe we'll see a pellet stove on CL in a few months?

Battenkiller said:
Just went downstairs to fill the stove for the last time. Pulling up stakes on this circus tomorrow morning. She's cruising along at 750° and tomorrow morning I will shovel out the coals, let her cool down, and vacuum her out for the next guy. Hope he treats her well and that she keeps him and his family warm. That's about all you could hope for when you say goodbye to a good stove. :)

The pellet stove is a nice soft steady heat, when we get our coldest temps is when you will miss the wood stove. Congrats to Mrs. & Mr. BK, have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

The Zaps

Did they collect for the pellets at closing BK?

You had fun with this one, don't look back other than for nostalgic purposes.

I look forward to the day you get a new stove and get to play with something different and share the results with us.

pen

Good luck on your new adventure BK.

Move could not have gone worse, but we're in and the place looks like we've been here for a while. I'll wait until later to tell you the story, it's so bizarre it's actually funny. OK... I ain't laughing yet, that would hurt. Even my hair hurts, and I only have a few strands of that stuff left.

Yes, BB, you know your stuff. Not only did I have to buy the pellets, they were actually rolled into the mortgage, along with the propane and the oil in the tank. Now, how many guys do you know that got stuck financing three types of fuel for 30 years? :eek:hh:

Zap, first impression was, "Where's the freakin' heat?", but that thing sips those pellets at these temps and heats the whole place beautifully. We'll see how it does come February. Without a doubt, though, a stove belongs up here and the pellet stove belongs down in the basement workshop... whenever that gets built.

Pen, I have truly seen the light. That Vig belongs in a big ol' hunting camp, where you can open it up and crank out great gobs of radiant heat. This convection heating ain't as bad as I thought it'd be, but I do already miss that blast of bone-warming heat.

Thanks so much to everyone who has followed me through this horrid ordeal and offer words of encouragement and sage advice. I really don't know how I could have gotten through this on my own. You guys are great. I love you all. :)

I'll wait to post pics until after we get the tree up and the kids and grandkids are all here. It looks real nice, at least we like it. But best thing of all is how it feels... like "Home Sweet Home". ;-)

Ah, good to hear that you got settled in. Sorry that it was a hassle, but now you can relax for at least a couple days. Then you'll go nuts trying to find stuff. Congratulations and have a very good holiday in the new homestead.

Welcome to home BK. At 4% the trivial stuff is just that. Trivial and all part of the joys of home ownership. I am still paying principle and interest on that water heater that went south 26 years ago. :lol:

Enjoy that place. And don't be surprised if you like that pellet stove heating. But they require some TLC so use the pellet room for those guys experience. They are a good bunch.

Battenkiller said:
Even my hair hurts

Sounds like a typical home purchase / move to me. :)

I told Mrs. Flatbedford that we would NEVER move again after we got in the house.

Enjoy your home sweet home, pellets and all!

Status
Not open for further replies.