Last Chance before I buy an insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karl

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2007
Huntington, West Virginia
Attached is a diagram of my house. It measures out to 2186 square feet, but I didnt count the closets and other small stuff. I think its 2400 square feet total. Anyway, I'm going to get a Napoleon 1402 insert. It has a 2.25 cubic foot fire box. The main areas I'm concerned with heating are the: Kitchen, Family Room, Dining Room, Living Room, Foyer, the Bathroom off the Hallway, and the Hallway itself. This comes up to 1484 square feet. The stove is rated for 1000-2000 square feet and I live in Southern West Virginia. Most of the winter is 20s at night and 40s during the day, with a few really cold days, in the teens at night and 20's during the day. Will this stove do the job? Also how well is my house laid out for a stove? Also, any hope of heating the master bedroom too if I use fans? I keep the other two bedrooms closed off because I live alone. Also, is a cord of wood a month a good guess for how much wood I'll use?

Thanks for help.

Karl

Attachments

• house1.jpg
    house1.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 450
karl said:
Attached is a diagram of my house. It measures out to 2186 square feet, but I didnt count the closets and other small stuff. I think its 2400 square feet total. Anyway, I'm going to get a Napoleon 1402 insert. It has a 2.25 cubic foot fire box.

Nice diagram, insert is a reasonable size, should put out good heat and give reasonable, but not great burn-times, probably on the 8-9 hour range.

The main areas I'm concerned with heating are the: Kitchen, Family Room, Dining Room, Living Room, Foyer, the Bathroom off the Hallway, and the Hallway itself. This comes up to 1484 square feet. The stove is rated for 1000-2000 square feet and I live in Southern West Virginia.
The climate is in your favor, but how is the house in terms of insulation? How "tight" is the weather-sealing? Those could help or hurt you. I think you will probably need to do some playing with fans, but if you can get the right circulation pattern going, you will probably do a pretty good job of heating all the spaces you mention.

Most of the winter is 20s at night and 40s during the day, with a few really cold days, in the teens at night and 20's during the day. Will this stove do the job?
[/quote]Also how well is my house laid out for a stove? Also, any hope of heating the master bedroom too if I use fans? I keep the other two bedrooms closed off because I live alone. [/quote]

I'd expect it to do a pretty good job, it might not be great in the MBR if you are trying to keep that the same as the rest of the house, but it certainly will reduce your heating load.

Also, is a cord of wood a month a good guess for how much wood I'll use?

Thanks for help.

Karl

Not sure on the wood use - our smoke dragon burns about 6-7 cords in New England from roughly Oct. - April, hopefully you'd be burning less, but wood keeps, and you are better off being a year or two ahead of your demand, so I wouldn't worry about "over stocking" - if you don't burn it this season, you'll burn it the next, and it will be better for being drier. Given that you probably have a shorter heating season than we do up here in MA, I'd probably lay in 6-7 cords at a minimum, until you have a better idea of how much you'll actually need.

Gooserider

That layout is going to be tough to heat with an insert in the living room. The heat has to move fairly long distances and around a lot of corners to get to most of the house. The insert fan will be blowing the heated air straight across the living room to a wall. And that living room is gonna be hot most of the time.

Your location is pretty much due West of us and the climate sounds pretty much like ours. After the normal period of burning too much wood getting used to the stove you should be fine with 3/4 to a cord of hardwood a month on average from October thru April. Less per month until around Christmas, burn like crazy until early/late March and then slacking back down through April. This is based on heating with it 100%. Five cords minimum of hardwood would be where I would start. In your case I believe it is going to be supplemental heat and three to four cords might get it done but running out of wood in March is a bummer.

karl said:
Attached is a diagram of my house. It measures out to 2186 square feet, but I didnt count the closets and other small stuff. I think its 2400 square feet total. Anyway, I'm going to get a Napoleon 1402 insert. It has a 2.25 cubic foot fire box. The main areas I'm concerned with heating are the: Kitchen, Family Room, Dining Room, Living Room, Foyer, the Bathroom off the Hallway, and the Hallway itself. This comes up to 1484 square feet. The stove is rated for 1000-2000 square feet and I live in Southern West Virginia. Most of the winter is 20s at night and 40s during the day, with a few really cold days, in the teens at night and 20's during the day. Will this stove do the job? Also how well is my house laid out for a stove? Also, any hope of heating the master bedroom too if I use fans? I keep the other two bedrooms closed off because I live alone. Also, is a cord of wood a month a good guess for how much wood I'll use?

Thanks for help.

Karl

You should be able to heat that area o.k., but you probably won't get a lot of heat into the BR. but if you like to sleep in cooler temps you'll be fine. If possible, I think you should look at a bigger stove. PE Summit insert would be a better choice.

I like the PE Summit but It's over a $1000.00 dollars more than the Napoleon. I have a fireplace in the basement too. If Heating is really a problem then I could put two Napoleons in the house for about the same price as the Summit. Does anybody Know where I can get a deal on a larger stove like the Summit? Also, wouldn't a bigger stove make the living room that much hotter?

Also, the house is pretty well insulated. Good windows, walls are insulated, about 8 inches of insulation in the attic. I'm planning on blowing more insulation in up there, but not this year. I think my best bet right now is to get better storm doors. I'm going to do that and put the stove in this year and see how things work.

Thanks again,

Karl

karl said:

Thanks for help.

Karl

I don't think you're going to be able to push all that air around and warm all the areas you want.......you'll get blown-out in the stove room with decreasing temps to the other rooms......most people don't realize it but even a small stove is capable of providing the heat you need in a small, well insulated home...the problem is, has been and always will be "how to distribute the hot air"?.......One way is ceiling fans and/or using the furnace fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.