Last fire this year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djblech

Feeling the Heat
Jul 7, 2008
Bruno MN
I let the Greenwood go out last Sat. With temps in the 60* it was getting hard not to overheat. I was almost out of wood anyway. I used about 8 cord from Dec. 1st to the end of Mar. That was for the boiler and the lopi in the house.
Doug

Yes I shut down a few weeks ago with no storage it's alot of heat output to find a place for on the warmer days.A few more days and the urge to go fill the boiler will go away. Now we can spend all that time cutting splitting and stacking wood for next season and beyond. I think 8 cord is about the same as I used for the season for the work it takes to prepare it sure goes quickly.

I look forward to get back out to my wood pile now that I'm done burning. Fresh air and some manual labor....and some beer. Life is good.

Not out yet for me...but temps are to hit near 80 late this week so I think the boiler will at least get a break. I could just shut her down and rely on the oil for occassional heat but hearing the oil burner just rubs me the wrong way! I may just start a fire as needed and burn up some more pine.

I have been burning off and on at night for about 2 weeks.... but.. warmer weather is coming so I am thinking of shutting down this weekend. However... I would love to use the snake oil method on my burn tubes. After I do this method.. how much wood should i burn to be sure all teh moisture is off the tubes?

Frost here every morning this week. I will be burning for a long time yet.

I'm sitting on close to a 3 yr supply of wood due to being a little overzealous last year and only burning 3-1/3 cords this winter. Think I'm gonna try burning all summer for my hot water so I can save $40-$50/month in electric and use up some of that wood. Maybe the weekly fire will take some of the dampness out of my old basement too!

Status
Not open for further replies.