last fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stockdoct

Oct 19, 2008
ilinois
.....I'm out of wood

(But I've got 3 cords of new wood for next year, and I'll spend the spring/summer scrounging for more. I'm learning)

stockdoct said:
.....I'm out of wood

(But I've got 3 cords of new wood for next year, and I'll spend the spring/summer scrounging for more. I'm learning)

I'm sure you're not alone. I have about 2 weeks of 24/7 burning. I made the change today to only burning nights and weekends to hopefully make it though March.

Maybe you could trade some of your green wood for seasoned with a neighbor?

I ran out on Thursday. Had to buy some to get me through this month. I have 3 cords of wood split and stacked waiting on next year!

stockdoct said:
.....I'm out of wood

stockdoct, the key here, and I hope others pick up on this, is what you wrote at the end: "I'm learning!"

You have 3 cords of new wood and are not trying to burn it but will wait until next year. Great. If more would do this they would have much less problems.

You are to be congratulated. Now you just have to get more than 3 cords ready for next year or the year after. Two years supply is fantastic!

I have 1 weeks worth left (used 5 cords). I have 5 cords ready for next year and still scrounging as I'm trying to make big dent into 2010-11. Plenty of free wood to be had from friends once the word got around that I am looking for wood. This is my first year also and I have learned alot. I went through alot of wood early on trying to heat with half seasoned wood. Next year I'll have truly seasoned wood so it should be much better then this year - but I'll have to learn the stove all over again. I could probably burn some of next year's wood now - but with oil cheap - I think I'll save it until next year when it is fully seasoned. My wife says I don't know what to do with myself at night when the stove isn't going and also the house is so quiet when the kids are in bed and the blower isn't running. I'll miss it. But - there is always next year and hearth.com to read.

Pretty much the same story here. I'll be out of fuel by the middle of March, but I've got about 5 cords ready for next year, and I just dropped 2 big oaks for the 010/011 season. I learned a lot this year, and more to learn.

I beleive that I will get through March as well. I ahve been burning when the weather dictates. There was a week in Feb that was above 30 every day and I didnt burn daytime at all. that saved alot of wood. I wouldnt burn next eyars supply right now. It is March and it will be gettign warmer daytime temps for sure. I would rather burn the oil during the day at the current price of oil that is. If it were like last year I would think differently

If the weather would warm up a bit, I could shut down Stove #2 and save some wood. If it warms as expected in the next few days, I may be able to get a week or two into April with my current wood supply. We will see...

I figure I have enough wood left for about 2-3 weeks of burning. It's my first year burning so I'll be happy to close up shop for this season after that.

I think I have enough left to make it through the entire season, I'm only heating less than 1500 square feet- actually, only the upstairs portion of that, and not the basement. I've completely turned off my oil boiler after doing a couple of test runs. It gets into the low 50's downstairs, but I've moved upstairs for the season. If I don't burn for long enough, it gets right chilly upstairs, too- but I'm making it on wood only in my first year. That was my goal.

I have been lucky to get my hands on mostly deadwood my first year. That's what made it possible. The wood I have access to at friends' places is mostly standing and fallen dead. That is a real good situation, and I'm grateful about that. I will definitely put away as much as possible for next season, this summer.

We'll run out of wood this week as well. First year burning for me too, and I was only had enough wood put up for what we would have normally burned in the fireplace (about 2 cords). It's amazing how much more wood you burn when you actually get heat from it! I've got a good jump on next year.

EatenByLimestone said:
Find some pallets. They burn fast, but they come at the right price.

Matt

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for the advice!

I've found that pallet wood is so dry, I can burn a mixture of 1/3 pallet wood with 2/3 poorly seasoned wood (3-5 months) and get my stove up to 500-600 degrees! I'll have a few more burns to go, right in time for Illinois' late March-April snow season predicted for tonight. 3-5 inches, they say.

stockdoct said:
I've found that pallet wood is so dry, I can burn a mixture of 1/3 pallet wood with 2/3 poorly seasoned wood (3-5 months) and get my stove up to 500-600 degrees!

I've done the same. Works just fine. I bet the total moisture content of such a load is in or close to the zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.