Last hoorah before school starts.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ScotO

Tried to get the whole scout troop together for a campout this weekend, but only one other dad and I could make it. Busy weekend as the kids in our area start school tomorrow, but I took my son and my buddy took his, and we had a great weekend at camp.

We generally have several camp-outs throughout the fall and winter, and also in spring. So we spent the weekend collecting some firewood, cleaning up the camp (trimming weeds, trees, etc), and also did a project with the boys....we built a new keyhole firepit.....

The old pit was nothing more that a heaped up pile of rocks in a oval shape....tripping hazards everywhere and it looked terrible. But it was probably there for over 30 years and needed a revamp....

We took the boys up on the ridge and gathered all new rocks, explaining to them what to look for in good masonry rocks. They did a great job, and learned a lot too.

Found some "chicken of the woods" mushrooms while scavenging rocks.....those bright orange 'shrooms glow in the dark forest....

2013-08-24_15-09-28_870.jpg

After the old rocks and ash were cleaned out and the area leveled, it was time to build the pit.

2013-08-24_15-23-58_29.jpg 2013-08-24_15-26-44_668.jpg

Kids helped out, learned a lot, and did a great job. Not to mention we started our fire with the bow drill friction method. They ate a well-earned supper of foil packed vegetables cooked on the coals, and burgers and cheddar bratwursts....

2013-08-24_15-56-28_647.jpg 2013-08-24_15-56-59_117.jpg 2013-08-24_16-43-56_942.jpg 2013-08-24_20-00-52_367.jpg

Even had some bacon, sausage, taters and eggs on the firepit this morning for breakfast...

2013-08-25_08-26-28_490.jpg

I gotta say I really enjoy spending time with my youngest son. I love all three of my kids more than life itself, but he's a lot like his old man. He loves the woods, loves to learn to do things himself, and is just a pleasure to be around. He reminds me so much of my Grandpa, who passed 8 years ago and was and still is my biggest hero.......

Dude, all im going to say is your awesome! You are truly blessed. Your kids will grow up strong and smart. Good for you. Awesome pics!

Awesome ...if only more Dads would spend time with there kids.. Ive got all girls , they have pocket knives , love to camp , and help stack the wood, Soon they'll be running a saw ;)

Awesome ...if only more Dads would spend time with there kids.. Ive got all girls , they have pocket knives , love to camp , and help stack the wood, Soon they'll be running a saw ;)
John, you oughta see my 8yr. old daughter. She's the youngest of my kids and man was she ever mad that I didn't take her to scout camp. She's glued to my hip anytime I'm out in the backyard working on the woodstack.....she's probably the best helper out of all three of my kids.

She's a country gal through and through already.....

You're not so bad yourself, bud. I know just from talking with you on here that you're a hardworking fella yourself.

you ever head out this way, you're welcome to stop in for a brew and fireside chat....anytime....

Thx man!

Reactions: ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.