Last load of fir just in time!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigFir

Burning Hunk
Sep 22, 2015
Kamloops BC
Great forum here guys! It has been consuming a lot of my valuable time lately!

Just finished up my last load of fir for the year. I think I will have around 6 cord to feed the 2 stoves!
We don't have the luxury of the high quality hardwood the most of you get, but being able to burn fir the same day you cut it is a perk for sure! Attached is a pic of the new Timber Ridge (NC30) just starting an 8 hour burn!

Got it done the day before the first snow fall!

Attachments

• loaded.jpg
    loaded.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 239
  • ahh!.jpg
    ahh!.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 277
  • all done.jpg
    all done.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 274
  • fir fire.jpg
    fir fire.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 276
  • first snow.jpg
    first snow.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 245
Reactions: Etheldreda
Anyone know how to flip the upside down pics?

Welcome.

Don't beat your self up about Fir. It's Stella wood and has more combined benefits over any Hardwood.

First real sprinkle of snow here as well. Lots of Nice larch and Fir in my pile. Gonna be a warm winter.

Not dissing fir at all as there are many benifits with it, easy splitting, high heat output, easy to find standing dead and it comes already seasoned (usually)! I am going hunting for some Larch next year, I believe I may know of some not too far away as they are not too common around Kamloops.

Not dissing fir at all as there are many benifits with it, easy splitting, high heat output, easy to find standing dead and it comes already seasoned (usually)! I am going hunting for some Larch next year, I believe I may know of some not too far away as they are not too common around Kamloops.
I'm burning mostly fir this year too, along with a little bit of pine, maple, birch and larch - all scrounges from people that were giving it away. Larch is my favourite and in the SE Kootenays we have a fair bit, so I'm working on building up my supply for next year. Around here, Larch is almost as common as fir or pine, but you have to hunt to find the dead ones as its always people's first choice for firewood.

Ha ha. BC is big into firewood. Who would've thought! I burn mostly fir too. Larch is a little harder to come by around here so quite coveted.

Yeah I didn't get any Spruce or Pine this year which is a shame. A shame to burn the good stuff when it ain't -20C.

Plenty of Big Larch and Fir here as well. Follow the loggers around is the ticket.

Few hours South there's enough Dead standing Larch to sink the 'Jahre Viking'

I'm from the city, only moving more rural in the recent years. This is our ford winter using wood. I've spent the last 2 seasons slowly chopping up some fir trees we had cut down. Splitting fir is so much fun. Makes you feel like John Henry driving spikes. Recently I've been cutting some maple from a neighbor. That, on the other hand, makes it feel like I am trying to cut it with a mallet. Seriously, sometime the axe just bounces. Hah.

So far, fir is fine. I have no hardwood burning experience to compare to.

Reactions: BigFir
Hey welcome aboard. No ready to burn wood on this side but a lot of hard wood varieties.

Welcome to Hearth bigfir! I see youve met some of us local BC boys and a few other friends from around the continent as well! Burning some fir as we speak!

Thanks for the welcome all! We are pretty lucky in BC as far as firewood goes, there is only millions of acres of it for us.
The fir is kicking butt currantly.... 3000sq/ft house was 24C this moring on a -4c night! loving every minute of it!

Reactions: Seanm
Status
Not open for further replies.