Last minute pellet stove change?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

STANG302

Nov 10, 2009
Osceola, WI
Now that winter is quickly approaching. I am considering moving my stove. Now just which one to use?

A little background. I purchased my grandparents old farm house years ago. The place is split into two sections the original (1911) and the addition (1960's). The only access from one side to the other is one door opening on the upper and lower level. Stair access to the upstairs is on the old side. There is no existing central air duct work of any kind. And as you can imagine it is extremely difficult to get heat to transfer from old section to new.

Currently I have the pellet stove on the main floor of the addition. In order to get the kitchen, bathroom & living room on main floor of original side up to temp. The addition needs to be 80 degrees to maintain 60 in the original side.

Since it is only the dog and myself. I've decided to temporarily close off the new section and move everything to the old for the winter. Which means also moving my pellet stove. Of which I have two, a Quadrafire Sante Fe and a Vogelzang VG5770. The VG5770 was an upgrade last year as the Sante Fe just could not keep up.

Sante Fe is a bit old and looking rough. Needs to be gone through from top to bottom and new door gasket (for some reason they only last a year or two for me). I do miss the ease of use and cleaning not to mention being able to use a thermostat.

VG5770 is a year old and trouble free so far. It does kick out more heat but the lack of a usable thermostat it waists pellets.

So which one should I use?

I have a feeling the the little Santa Fe won't meet the needs of a older farm house. Your going to need heat for the next few days as the temps are falling very fast this evening. I have used several stoves without thermostats and once the real heating season gets going one can settle on a setting and adjust a couple times a day if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.