Last nite had a bad draft for my insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tinman1

Oct 28, 2014
Long Island New York
Fired up the stove last nite , outdoor temps were 51-52 degrees , and it just did not want to really take off unless I left the door cracked open ! Not sure if it was due to very little ashes there ? Is it that important to have a thick bed of ashes ? Or was it the mild temps ? I'm new to this thing !

Could be both the mild temp and the lack of ash ... or wood ... or simply the fact that many folks need more time and need to crack the stove door a bit to get the fire going. I often find it takes longer to get the fire going when the stove is stone cold so to speak.

In our area, we've got mostly damp weather and that is a big difference.

Been burning for a few years now. Last night was 38 out, 64 in, and somehow I managed to smoke out the living room, smoke detectors blaring and all. Was a good time!
It's only like the third time I've done that, fixed it with a flaming piece of newspaper up by the baffle, opened the windows, turned the ceiling fan on and all was right with the world again. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.