Last roundup for the season.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred Wright

Minister of Fire
Dec 26, 2013
Delaware
www.nwedj.com
It's done. Brought home the final slab wood load Friday. Got it split & stacked, was up this morning early with the saw to lop off the long ones and get 'em on the stacks. From rough calculations there's +5 cord there.

Am gonna miss scrounging at the sawmill. It's a great feeling to discover a load of oak and ash just laying there for the taking. Am gonna miss off-roading in that pigged up lot, too... bouncing around over the ruts, driving out with a full load.

Ah well. There are plenty of spring projects to keep this ol' boy busy for awhile. :)

100_1.jpg
100_2.jpg
100_3.jpg

From the looks of those slabs Fred, someone wastes a lot of good lumber - Good for you, but they're throwing a lot of $$$$ in the slab pile.

Reactions: Fred Wright
Fred, based upon the thickness of those Oak slabs I presume they season fast? How long do you reckon it takes (<20% MC) compared to thicker cord wood (4-6" diameter sticks)?

Very nice piles. And I bet you can stuff that puppy full with those clean cut slabs.

Awesome stacks! So you are not going to just keep an eye on the mill in case another great score comes your way? Anyways looks great.

Looking good there! Awesome way to get wood. Going to run by a mill on Monday to see what I can find.

Last edited:
Fred, based upon the thickness of those Oak slabs I presume they season fast? How long do you reckon it takes (<20% MC) compared to thicker cord wood (4-6" diameter sticks)?

Not sure to be honest. This is our first year scrounging at the sawmill. Should cure faster, thin as it is. Gonna guess it will be fine to burn in a couple years. It'll be there for three years.

Would love to go back to the mill; every day is a new scrounge. But we have nowhere to put it. The SheWolf suggested we cut and lay some sapling log rails in the woodlot next door to stack it on and sell it later by the face cord. Am not convinced that I'm up to that much work. Maybe when I retire. :)

Reactions: D8Chumley
Hmmmm.
$20 a truck load. Let it sit for 2 or 3 years.
$150 a truck load.
That'd buy mama some nice shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.