Last season's grinding noise discovered, I think (Englander)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sydney1963

Oct 4, 2008
Windham Maine
Hi All, Last season (around February) my stove started making a noise (in the middle of the night of course) that sounded like someone sharpening an ice skate (that's all I can think of). So, when I did the annual cleaning last month and took off the combustion blower, I found a couple of pieces of loose metal. One looked like a 5 inch needle shape and the other was about the size of a stick of gum (very thin). Haven't heard that noise at all this season after removing the loose pieces. Could it have been some type of loose sauldering rubbing on the combustion blower blades? Mike if you read this please chime in. Thanks

Syd, if I were you, I'd take a couple of pics of the pieces with a ruler next to them, and email them to Mike at work ([email protected])....maybe he can tell you where they came from. Might be a problem, might not.

macman said:
Syd, if I were you, I'd take a couple of pics of the pieces with a ruler next to them, and email them to Mike at work ([email protected])....maybe he can tell you where they came from. Might be a problem, might not.

I threw them away. Now I'm thinking I should have saved them just for pics. Oops. Anyway, I'm very happy with my stove, noise free.

sydney1963 said:
Hi All, Last season (around February) my stove started making a noise (in the middle of the night of course) that sounded like someone sharpening an ice skate (that's all I can think of). So, when I did the annual cleaning last month and took off the combustion blower, I found a couple of pieces of loose metal. One looked like a 5 inch needle shape and the other was about the size of a stick of gum (very thin). Haven't heard that noise at all this season after removing the loose pieces. Could it have been some type of loose sauldering rubbing on the combustion blower blades? Mike if you read this please chime in. Thanks

Any chance the combustion blower is missing a couple vanes on the fan ? Your pieces sound like sections of aluminum fan blades to me. You may want to remove the blower & inspect the fan for damage.

Tom

Fan blades look fine. Thanks for the thought though.

may have been a loose piece of slag from the plasma cutter, usually this stuff is cleaned out during the manufacturing process but if it got "hidden" in the chamber it could have been missed , did the piece look like metal which was kinda melted and solidified again?

if this was the case and the piece is now removed it will not adversely affect the stove by removing t as its not a piece of the stove per se.

Big sigh of relief, I thought the noise was back. Welcome aboard MaryKay, if you'll notice, dates appear on posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.