Last Week..............

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
when I was cutting this downed rotten birch to open up the trail I heard a crack, when I turned around this is what I saw, backing up was not an option so I continued then hauled a__ out of there.

Looks like Ash but is in an area with lots of Basswood.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4575.jpg
    100_4575.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 514
  • 100_4576.jpg
    100_4576.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 536
  • 100_4577.jpg
    100_4577.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 526
  • 100_4578.jpg
    100_4578.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 517
Shouldn't take much help from mother nature to break it off.

I hope she takes care of it Pat53, the good part is we don't have to use that end of the trail.

zap

That sure is eery when that happens like that Zap. I would wait for it to come down by itself too. Thats a barber chair waiting to happen.

Billy

Cowboy Billy said:
That sure is eery when that happens like that Zap. I would wait for it to come down by itself too. Thats a barber chair waiting to happen.

Billy

That was a first for me Billy, they don't make a bar long enough to cut that tree. My guess is that it will still be up by this time next year.

zap

Hey zap, that's the only "vertical splitting" worth a darn! :) In the last pic it sure looks like ash. Enjoy the game!!!!!!

Looks like New England will have the momentum & the ball going ithe start of the second half, should be a great second half, chit even Madonna looks good.

zap

zapny said:
Looks like New England will have the momentum & the ball going ithe start of the second half, should be a great second half, chit even Madonna looks good.

zap

Hahaha......you in the barley pops zap?

Nope, the old gal looks good.

zap

We grow good women and great quarterbacks in the wolverine state! :)

I agree zapny, that thing will last alot longer than you think standing like that.
I had one creeking in front of my deer hunting tree stand that was giving me the willies.
It had to go, probably 24inch diameter, only thing holding it up was basically bark and 3/4" of wood,
that thing was twisting and creeking in the wind. I tied a rope as high as I could get it, had the wife
and kids pull on and I started cutting. It went down no problems. Thank goodness.
I liked that spot for my tree stand and actually whacked a buck on the Sunday before Thanksgiving.

Im sure this has been said before, but Zap is the hardest working man, err, next to Dennis that is. Keep up the good work man you inspire me.

Thanks for the kind words KatWill. I think we have plenty of members who are working harder at getting their wood than me. I think the guys that scrounge wood put in more time and do a great job, don't forget about Quads,FBF, just so many that put in more time.

Thanks
Zap

Zap, that surely looks like ash to me and it is showing its characteristics. That is, it splits very easy.

Just pushed some wood in last night Sav, I think we had some Ash mixed in. The only Ash I ever cut was a blow down from up top three years ago, should be nice and dry.

zap

Oh ya. That should burn very nicely.

Backwoods Savage said:
Oh ya. That should burn very nicely.

We've been burning Cherry for so long that tonight we have some Sugar Maple & Beech going, about 10 degrees outside (going down to -7) 75 upstairs, I consider that pretty good heating from the basement.

zap

Right zap. I was amazed to see how you heat the house, but it works out nicely for you.

Backwoods Savage said:
Right zap. I was amazed to see how you heat the house, but it works out nicely for you.

January of 2009 we received the letter from the oil company taking us off automatic delivery, they have never returned since. Earlier this year it seemed the heat was not getting upstairs like it was the year before, I cranked up the Liberty and the Yankee Pellet Stove which filled the basement with more heat than usual, it was like someone pulled a plug and the heat flow started from the basement to the upstairs, it has stayed the same since.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.