Last weekends workout for the cub

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OhioBurner©

Minister of Fire
Aug 20, 2010
Center of Ohio
Wasn't sure what forum would be best, but since I mainly just wanted to share the pics I guess this is appropriate.

Started cutting for next year over this past weekend. I had eagerly wanted to test out the wagon I threw together last year on the big farm (hills) with one of my cubs that actually had decent traction. While on the flats my 6x10 road trailer heaped is a piece of cake, taking my garden tractor up steep hills trying to pull a lot of wood is a lot tougher! But the combo worked out great and I finally was able to haul full loads without incident. Well there were a couple scary moments on the hill like when it all the sudden popped out of gear... _g but was able to catch it quick.

Anyhow, here is the cub posing for some pics:

There is the wagon. I think the pic makes it look smaller than it really is. Those logs are 4 1/2 feet long and the interior volume of it is 30cuft. With green wood fully loaded, its close to the max the tractor can take up the hill. Traction is typically the biggest problem, but the rearward trailer axle puts extra tongue weight on the tractor. On the steepest part of the hill, the heavier loads did start bouncing the front tires in the air. That was a couple of the scary moments. Next project: front ballast weight. I'm thinking a bolt on bumper with a hitch and maybe a small 2,000# winch.

And finally, after a long hard weekend, the cub rests for a minute watching the sun set back up on top of the hill. I was actually playing around with HDR photoshop techniques to create that image. I think it turned out pretty well.

And finally back home. Not a very good shot showing the load of the truck but times like this I wish I had a dually. Truck was a tad overweight. Well heck would have probably still been over weight on a dually, I need a bigger trailer instead of filling the truck so much! And would be nice not to have to haul the tractor and wagon along with.

That is some nice work OhioBurner. And nice packing on that trailer going back home. A cool set up. Good to not have to pay for wood.

Reactions: Shane N
looks like a good day in the woods. I like using old iron for grunting in the woods. I have that old Sears Suburban tractor I use for my jobs, with a late 70's vintage Jackson trailer behind it. Now it's not as big as your trailer, but built alot better than these new tin trailers you can buy nowdays. I plan on building something bigger and better down the road......

I really like how the wagon and tractor fit into the trailer with room for wood all around! Great job.

Hey thanks fellas, I actually have one more trip in since that post and just getting around to uploaded a couple pics.

legrandice - Yeah I tried different ways to load the trailer but the wagon and cub were just too long for a 10' trailer. I could squeeze them on with the tongue of the trailer sticking way over the end, but I found I liked setting it up vertical the best. I can pin the tractor to it and that holds it great, I throw a couple ratchet straps over it but not really needed - especially on the return trip with wood packed all around it. Using that method, and loaded up just to the sides of the trailer which arent very high, I can get it right at the rated 3500# rating on the axle. Wish I had a bigger trailer.

The last trip was very similar, went down on a Saturday and cut, but got down late and was going to cut a little more sunday morning then start loading and hopefully be out of there around noon time. Well all was going as planned until I awoke Sunday to a good 3-4" of fresh snow that wasnt really expected...

I was looking forward to being able to pull some big loads across the frozen ground, but now I was worried about traction with a good layer of snow down.

Even the modest slope behind the house looked iffy.

I attempted the big hill out back, and have some pretty scary moments, and abonded the idea of most all the wood I cut (I did get two trailer fulls worth before giving up). I found some wood closer to the house to cut up quick and a big oak that fell by the road I was going to save for spring when everything was mud.

The small hill upfront. I cut up some smaller locust on the face of the hill there. I could only get 1/4 they way up it with the tractor, but mainly because I didnt have a good path. But I could pretty much roll the rounds down the hill to it.

With the addition of the oak laying by the road that was nicely suspended about a foot off the ground, I pretty much filled the rest ofthe truck and trailer, cleaned up the camp, and was out of there by around 2.

Hmm. Now comes telling the Mrs. you need a set of chains for the rear wheels of that work horse. Birthday present. Father's day. Good man for keeping the house warm day. Whatever. Hey, when are they going to make that an official wood burners holiday anyway? Then, with those chains, you will be doing some pullin in the snow. ==c

Reactions: Shane N
I actually have two sets of chains already! But both on smaller turf tires, and on my snowthrower and plow tractors. I could swap off the tires but its a big PITA especially since they are all filled, plus weights bolted on. I think the atv tires on it do better in that condition than smaller turfs with chains, but hard to say, and I dont want to buy a 3rd set of chains for the bigger tires!

Reactions: Gasifier
The old cub is looking good. Are those the V61 front tires? How do you like them? Are they good in the snow? I'd like to get a pair of those for my 149. Did you buy or make the sleeve hitch ball mount? I need one of those. If you had a bigger trailer, the Cub and trailer could ride in the truck and the wood on the trailer. Then maybe you wouldn't have to unload the wood until c/s/s time?

Love cub cadet - have 3 - baby cub, mama cub and papa cub. The biggest is the 2550, but still too new and pretty to scuff up :confused:. Did get chains and weight for the snow blade, and it did a great job this winter on the 500' drive. Did an awesome job hauling the tree wood I cut down off a 70 footer this summer. If you want to see what a guy will do for wood, I posted some summer pix of that job earlier today.

I only have 2 149 Cubs. Ready for snow here.
DSC07375.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.