Last Winter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I'll give mother nature another winter then this Cherry in the bowl is coming down. If I remember right we have a maple and ash tree that is holding this up.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4129.jpg
    100_4129.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 533
Didn't you hear?
WINTER is cancelled for your area this year :bug:
May have time yet this year :)
Looks like the conifers are taking over.

I agree with Dave. What you waiting for zap? Getting lazy? Lol...:)

Not in the picture (will get this week) are some widow makers at the very top of the Cherry, not real worried about the one just up from the Y in the Cherry, just thought I would give mother nature another winter.

Another good reason I just thought of :) I'm still running around grabbing the downed trees.

gibir

Don't worry zap. You'll never get caught up anyway no matter how hard you work. You have a wonderful woods there and you are continually helping it out too. It repays you with warmth for your home.

Backwoods Savage said:
Don't worry zap. You'll never get caught up anyway no matter how hard you work. You have a wonderful woods there and you are continually helping it out too. It repays you with warmth for your home.

It's repaying us at the moment, some of the beech I cut in that area (side hill in the bowl) in the summer of 2008 is burning real nice.

gibir

Thursday,Friday,Saturday & Sunday

What are those conifers? Look like hemlock?

Pat53 said:

Good eye Pat53, that area is loaded with them, we milled some nice boards out of some Hemlock in the summer.

zap

bogydave said:
Didn't you hear?
WINTER is cancelled for your area this year :bug:
May have time yet this year :)
Looks like the conifers are taking over.

bogydave, we don't have any snow but this morning the roads were slick (rain=ice) had one section on route 56 closed down with fire trucks blocking both ends, so I guess winter is still hear.

zap

zapny said:
Pat53 said:

Good eye Pat53, that area is loaded with them, we milled some nice boards out of some Hemlock in the summer.

zap

We have a fair amount of hemlock here as well, altho it tends to grow in just certain areas, not widespread. My brother and I, in our "logging days" cut some monster hemlock down up north. One was 51 inches across the stump. A lot of ours has what is called "shake" in the bottom 10 feet or so of the trunk. Supposedly its caused by the tree swaying in the wind and the rings actually seperate a bit. So when they go to the mill, they have to cut some of the butt away to get out of the shake. Does yours get the "shakes" as well? LOL

Pat53 said:
zapny said:
Pat53 said:

zap

We have a fair amount of hemlock here as well, altho it tends to grow in just certain areas, not widespread. My brother and I, in our "logging days" cut some monster hemlock down up north. One was 51 inches across the stump. A lot of ours has what is called "shake" in the bottom 10 feet or so of the trunk. Supposedly its caused by the tree swaying in the wind and the rings actually seperate a bit. So when they go to the mill, they have to cut some of the butt away to get out of the shake. Does yours get the "shakes" as well? LOL

Yes, only had a few boards that didn't.

zap

zapny said:
Not in the picture (will get this week) are some widow makers at the very top of the Cherry, not real worried about the one just up from the Y in the Cherry, just thought I would give mother nature another winter.

Always the chance the trees will fall by themselves, saving you the trouble.....although unlikely.

If it were here, I'd have any leaner down as quite a few people walk the trails behind us and not everybody is tree aware..... ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.