Last year's stock

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcwilliams

Aug 20, 2016
ohio
Just picked up 4 pallet loads of last year's stock from tractor supply for $26 a skid and only had 3 bad bags.
Seems to be burning fine.
Did I get a deal or will it cost me in the long run?

Reactions: womaus
As long as they didn't get wet and their burning fine it doesn't matter sounds like you got a heak of a deal!

Yea nothing was wet. I thought it was a deal also. Couldn't pass it up. Might go get 2 more tomorrow. This is the first winter with pellet stove so not sure how much we will use. Just trying to be prepared

Sent from my stang5litre Edition 5.0 using Tapatalk

Yea nothing was wet. I thought it was a deal also. Couldn't pass it up. Might go get 2 more tomorrow. This is the first winter with pellet stove so not sure how much we will use. Just trying to be prepared

It depends on how much space your trying to heat at what temp and how cold it will be. Never hurts to have extra as long as you don't get them wet or damp you can keep pellets for a long time

Yea we have a 1300sq ft home open style floor plan old country home. I'm guessing 2 a year....

Yea we have a 1300sq ft home open style floor plan old country home. I'm guessing 2 a year....

If you think those pellets are going to work well at that price I would stock up with as much as I could store

Reactions: bags
I can make room for 2 more then I'm maxed out on room in the garage lol
I'm going to go get 2 more tomorrow.

I can't imagine you could burn through 6 tons this winter unless you left the windows and doors open lol you should be good.

$26 a ton? Wow, I wish I could get that deal - I would buy up a bunch and add to the 11 tons I'm sitting on presently!

Where are you in Ohio? What is the brand name of the pellets?

I'm in Lima Ohio. They have misc brands there. 2 white bag brands and 1 brown bag brand. Just says premium pellet on the bags I do believe. The guy said they usually sell for $199 a Ton

I'm in Lima Ohio. They have misc brands there. 2 white bag brands and 1 brown bag brand. Just says premium pellet on the bags I do believe. The guy said they usually sell for $199 a Ton

Can you get the UPC code off the bags - that will probably tell us what they are. Different parts of the country get different brands in those bags.

Wow wish I could get a deal like that. As long as they've stayed dry they should be fine, no different then stocking up and keeping them in your garage. The pellets I normally get for $200/ton ARE last year's stock. I also had about 10 bad bags in my last pallet because the kid on the fork truck kept stabbing the bags instead of centering the pallet on my trailer. Thankfully my trailer is enclosed so we scooped up and bagged all the strays.

Seriously, $26 a ton? My oh my.

If there are damaged pellets, blown up, too many fines get yourself a cat and use those bags as litter. Or in the garage for oil spills. Or horse bedding. There's a shop near here that was giving away water damaged pellets, lots of people were using them for mulch (damn ugly mulch, but at least it went back to the soil).

At $26 a ton I'd be happy to get 10 bags for the stove here in the northeast, use the rest for whatever.

Reactions: bogieb
I'd just sift them if a bunch were bad. At that price even if 75% of them were bad it's still a deal. Got lots of land to find a use for the bad ones.

Reactions: bogieb
Yea I ended up with 6 tons from tsc. Only got maybe 10 bad bags out of all 6 skids. I'll probably never find a deal like that again...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.