late Winter pellet Sales

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smalltown

Minister of Fire
Oct 1, 2008
Western Maine
I'm still burning my way through my Maine Choice pellets and although it's my first year I'd say they are a descent pellet. I'm starting to see pellet prices on local signs and it appears they are slowly dropping. Possibly companies are wanting to be sure they don't take up space until next fall? Late last fall when I called and inquired at my local TSC I was told how many tons they had in trailer truck(s), and when I arrived days later everything was outside in the yard. I imagined the pellets were in good shape and have had no issues. Occasionally I drive buy the same TSC and although I can't be sure it the same shipment they have pellets stored outside in the same spot. I wonder about them and all the other places that have been advertising since last fall and their pellets are just sitting there out in the open with just the plastic wrap covering the pallet of pellets. If I recall correctly the Maine Choice had a solid cover over the top and sides, but some pellets I see at other business appear to just be wrapped in a clear plastic appearing more to hold the pallet contents together than keep water out.

This year I thought I might see some good prices and snatch some up to store in the garage for next season, but that little voice in the back of my head is wondering maybe I should just wait until next fall and hopefully get some pellets that have been taken care of unless I knew before hand they were undercover to begin with. I guess what I am asking is just because we walk into a store and see a pallet of pellets at a good price whose to say they haven't been out behind the business in the elements for 8 months? You won't be burning them yourself for possibly another 8 months.

Another reason why to test a couple bags out of the ton before you buy them. Unless the price is too good to pass up - because then they might not be there when you come back!

nectardan said:
Another reason why to test a couple bags out of the ton before you buy them. Unless the price is too good to pass up - because then they might not be there when you come back!

People keep repeating the try before you buy mantra. Do you think you are going to get two bags from a pallet, in May, try them at your convenience, in September, go back to the dealer and say, "OK, those were pretty good, I'll take the rest of that pallet, and, by the way, I'd like a couple bags out of that pallet over there, too." Don't mean to rain on anybody's parade, but....
get real.

hossthehermit said:
People keep repeating the try before you buy mantra. Do you think you are going to get two bags from a pallet, in May, try them at your convenience, in September, go back to the dealer and say, "OK, those were pretty good, I'll take the rest of that pallet, and, by the way, I'd like a couple bags out of that pallet over there, too." Don't mean to rain on anybody's parade, but....
get real.
I believe smalltown was contemplating buying them now, while the prices are falling and cheaper than they would be in the fall. I recommended he buy a couple bags now to see if they burn ok in his stove, assuming he would try them right away - not at his own convenience. That way he could go back the next day or so to purchase the skid while they still had them - not waiting until next fall to buy the skid. That obviously wouldn't make any sense. It's better to be out $10 or so then to have a whole skid of pellets that burn like dirt in your stove (and I'm speaking from past experiences, too).

hossthehermit said:
nectardan said:

get real.

Hoss,

Not everyone has a multifuel stove or furnace like your Revolution or my Omega. Some stove's get picky with them pellet's. This time of year most of the pellet sales people would gladly let you try a few bags and usually have a few tons set aside for that purpose. Some even tose you a bag or two for free, Just to get you to try them.

I agree with nectardan, test them first if you can first. No need to get stuck with a load of crap your stove will not like. The multifuelers can just go by them deals, Can always use them in the shoulders if there not worthy in the heat department.

Just my 2 and I mean no harm!
jay

I believe OP is inquiring whether Jan/Feb special priced pellets are the same qaulity as the same brands purchased prior to the winter. It really depends on where you buy them and how they were stored and handled. If you don't have any previous experience with the dealer, I'd ask them how they have been stored and I they guarantee the quality. I've been "burned" once on a winter purchase of pellets. They were filled with fines from being tossed around...I'd purchase the brand again but not from that dealer.

Hoss,

I learned the HARD WAY. Bought 2 tons of pellets only to find out they aren't worth a diddly damn!! Won't do that again!

Estarrio stated what I meant. I wonder about even going back to the TSC store after seeing stacks of pellets sitting out in the elements. I know the Maine Choice burn good for me I am just not sure after sitting out in the store yard if they would still burn good. I beelive they have that top and side cover, but would't the mositure be getting up under the bottom or am I making to much of this?

I learned the hard way about the try before you buy deal. I would add one thing to that though, if your in a REAL cold weather area like I am here in Vermont I would suggest trying them when the weather is comparable to what it would be in the dead of winter. I tried a few bags last spring, around the end of March, of Maine Woods and they seemed OK. Of course I didn't take into account that it was 30-40* F out and basically shoulder season. Once the real cold weather hit this year I found I had to run my stove a little higher than previously to keep up with the cold. Not a big deal, but did prove to me the difference in pellets.

I agree. Every day I drive by the Tractor Supply near my home. The same stacks of pellets have been in the front (I know this because the words "Wood Pellets" are spray painted on) since they opened in August. No one can convince me that with all the rain and snow we've had since then that some moisture hasn't gotten into the bags. I would be very hesitant to buy, especially at the end of the year when you won't be using the pellets for 6 months. Do you think they will believe you in 6 months when you bring back a bags that contain half mush in them? I don't think so.

My point, which everyone apparently missed, was that the 2 bags you buy or get for free to try, are not going to necessarily be from the ton that you buy even 2 days later. Check some threads on here from people who went thru the "I tried these and they burned great until I started burning the 2 ton I bought". I'm not at all opposed the the try first, but people need to be aware that thewre ain't no guarantees

Hoss I agree with your point completely.

Now that you explained it like that, I see what you mean hoss. Hopefully the dealer you buy from is willing to exchange them in that case. Forgot all about batch variance and such. I got you now and that is a very valid point!

Glad I am a multifuel stove owner. My stove definetly makes pellet purchasing a bit easier on me.

hossthehermit said:
My point, which everyone apparently missed, was that the 2 bags you buy or get for free to try, are not going to necessarily be from the ton that you buy even 2 days later.
Good point. Wouldn't it be nice to reserve your own ton though for "testing purposes". Oh god, I can see it now - I'd have all the skids in the whole town roped off. :lol:

There are never any guarantees...you can only attempt to make the most informed purchase and hope that all goes well. Buying from reputable sources will help if quality issues do come up.

I just took delivery of five tons of Barefoots - I usually wait until the spring but the price was right. They came fully wrapped with the mfg wrapping and then additional plastic wrap to keep them tightly packed. I noticed evidence of snow on the top, so they were definitely stored outside at some point.

I'll likely try a bag from each pallet to make sure that they are all in good shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.