Latest "fines" report....American Wood Fiber pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imacman

Hi everyone,

just ran the bag of AWF through the pellet cleaner, and here's the latest in my pics of the fines left in the bag. Remember, I'm guessing that about 2-3x as much is in the vacuum, but this is all relative. I'm doing the cleaning the same way for all the brands/bags.

OK, as far as the results for the AWF, it's.....Good! There was less than a 1/4 cup left in the bag when I was done. Also, I took a good wiff of the pellets, and got a real nice hardwood smell that reminded me of when I taught woodworking in school...no chemical smell at all.

Hopefully, the burning will go just as well.

Attachments

• IMG_2363.jpg
    IMG_2363.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 565
macman said:
Hi everyone,

just ran the bag of AWF through the pellet cleaner, and here's the latest in my pics of the fines left in the bag. Remember, I'm guessing that about 2-3x as much is in the vacuum, but this is all relative. I'm doing the cleaning the same way for all the brands/bags.

OK, as far as the results for the AWF, it's.....Good! There was less than a 1/4 cup left in the bag when I was done. Also, I took a good wiff of the pellets, and got a real nice hardwood smell that reminded me of when I taught woodworking in school...no chemical smell at all.

Hopefully, the burning will go just as well.
pellet cleaner?......is this something you made mac?....or have I missed this in stores somewhere?

HEMI_1500 said:
....pellet cleaner?......is this something you made mac?....or have I missed this in stores somewhere?

hemi, this was on the forum last fall. here's the link to the thread.....watch the video too to get an idea of how it works. The one that ShortStuff had a couple of mods to it, and then I made one too. Yeah, it's an extra step when filling the stove, but I never have hardly any fines in the hopper.

Some people don't care, I do.

www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/23999/

Mac i have been burning the AWF pellets and i agree they are good ones. Little fines and burn n ice and clean. 230 a ton here. I also have instant heat and tried them and they burn well also but they are a much darker pellet the AWF are very light but both brands burn well.

Woodsman,
At $230/ton, that's a good price, especially since you have good luck w/ them so far. I haven't actually started burning the AWF yet, so I haven't got any opinion on that part of it, but I have my fingers crossed. Love the hardwood smell they have!!!

macman said:
HEMI_1500 said:
....pellet cleaner?......is this something you made mac?....or have I missed this in stores somewhere?

hemi, this was on the forum last fall. here's the link to the thread.....watch the video too to get an idea of how it works. The one that ShortStuff had a couple of mods to it, and then I made one too. Yeah, it's an extra step when filling the stove, but I never have hardly any fines in the hopper.

Some people don't care, I do.

www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/23999/
thats a nice setup mac.....question though, when those pellets fall into the 5 gall. bucket doesn't all that create fines also?

HEMI_1500 said:
.....question though, when those pellets fall into the 5 gall. bucket doesn't all that create fines also?

Nah, they don't hit that hard, especially after it fills up a little. They've always looked nice and clean to me in the bucket, and the stove hopper has hardly any fines when I run it dry for cleaning. I did notice a BIG difference this past spring when I got lazy and just dumped a couple bags of pellets direct into the hopper....way more fines.

I don't have a problem with the fines per se, as they are wood and will burn, but I don't want the auger to get caked full and start squealing or jamming. Hopefully, it will eliminate one more thing that could crop-up down the road.

But hey, that's me.

macman,

Hows the heat on the AWF pellets?

I am still trying to find them for the list to try. Just haven't had time to get to Danbury yet. By the time I get there they are going to be out of what I want. Just my luck lately. But the local has been dropping some different ones in here and there.

jay

I have been burning AWF and the heat is normal nothing special but not bad. They burn nice and clean with a small amount of white on the glass after 3 bags and not much ash. I have to say they are a good pellet..

jtakeman said:
macman,

Hows the heat on the AWF pellets?.....

Just started burning them today, but so far, so good. Pretty decent heat, but then again, I only have the stove on 1-3. Keeps the house at 70, but only turns on about once every 2 hours or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.