latest news on vermont castings ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deedub

Jul 11, 2008
beside sleeping hibbomock
Hi,
So I'm planning on buying a freestanding wood stove for my house and am leaning towards the Jotul 400, BUT still do like the quality build, performance of the Vermont Castings Resolut Acclaim. My hesitation with going for the the VC is there recent chapter 11 , but what is that latest for them now ? I'd hate to buy now and need parts and or support for brand that could dissapear. Any thoughts ?

By all means read up on this stove, it's ratings and repair record. When working, with the ideal draft setup, they can be good performers, but unfortunately they seem maintenance prone. I know of two of these stoves locally that needed a refractory rebuild every 3-4 seasons. Also search on downdraft stove.

PS: Where did you decide to put the stove? Which room living or the family room?

BeGreen said:
By all means read up on this stove, it's ratings and repair record. When working, with the ideal draft setup, they can be good performers, but unfortunately they seem maintenance prone. I know of two of these stoves locally that needed a refractory rebuild every 3-4 seasons. Also search on downdraft stove.

PS: Where did you decide to put the stove? Which room living or the family room?

Probably put the stove in the living room since it makes the most economical sense. BeGreen, was it the Jotul or the VC that needed a rebuild more often. Didn't I read that you had the Jotul 400, but noted they were tempermental in creating a good updraft ?

It was the Resolute Acclaim that needed rebuilding. I just upgraded from the F400 to the PE T6 this spring and have burned a couple seasons with it.

FWIW, I'm not convinced that putting a smaller stove in a less used part of the house is going to make economic sense. Comfort should be where the family hangs out. I think a bit larger stove in the family room is going to give greater satisfaction. But this is your call.

Regardless of location, if you are looking at other stoves, consider a Woodstock Fireview as well. This is a well made and reliable stove with a good reputation and made in VT.

deedub said:
Hi,
So I'm planning on buying a freestanding wood stove for my house and am leaning towards the Jotul 400, BUT still do like the quality build, performance of the Vermont Castings Resolut Acclaim. My hesitation with going for the the VC is there recent chapter 11 , but what is that latest for them now ? I'd hate to buy now and need parts and or support for brand that could dissapear. Any thoughts ?

The brand is not likely to disappear, but at the same time right now it is in limbo - a new company did win the bid on that part of CFM corp, but have not publicly announced anything yet. So my advice is the same that I gave with Harman last year when they were in limbo......there should be a stiff discount out there to make up for the lack of knowledge about the company and the future.....

BeGreen said:
It was the Resolute Acclaim that needed rebuilding. I just upgraded from the F400 to the PE T6 this spring and have burned a couple seasons with it.

FWIW, I'm not convinced that putting a smaller stove in a less used part of the house is going to make economic sense. Comfort should be where the family hangs out. I think a bit larger stove in the family room is going to give greater satisfaction. But this is your call.

Regardless of location, if you are looking at other stoves, consider a Woodstock Fireview as well. This is a well made and reliable stove with a good reputation and made in VT.
you make a lot of sense. i'm still so torn. i see the advantages to both.
do inserts ( VC montepelier ) require relatively the same amount of clearance to combustibles ? in other words, do they radiate heat as well ?

The Montpelier is new so we have no data on it's performance or reliability. And there are the caveats that Craig has noted. The Jotul C450, Hamton HI300 and Hearthstone Clydesdale have good track records and many satisfied owners. They are good, attractive heaters. There will be some heat loss due to the exterior chimney, but this can be mitigated by installing a block-off plate and perhaps insulating behind the insert.

Monessen bought Vermont Castings. We are a dealer for VC and are very optimistic about its future. I feel very confident in selling the product.

Ernie

ernie said:
Monessen bought Vermont Castings. We are a dealer for VC and are very optimistic about its future. I feel very confident in selling the product.

Ernie

But would'ya buy one? :coolsmirk:

Sorry. The devil made me do that.

Ernie- What have they told you that is driving your excitement? Have they told you what models and brands they are keeping and which ones are being tossed out? Between, VC, Majestic, Monessen, Martin and Lexington there is a lot of duplication. Just curious how they plan to sort it all out.

^from the article...

..."Monessen said in a statement issued Tuesday that the acquisition will ensure the Vermont Castings brand will continue."

Yeah just like those gypsy pirates that brought the 'troybuilt' name...a name that was held in great esteem for years...and now they make junk products that sell at big box stores like HD. Not that I'm knocking HD...just hate to see a good name trashed.

savageactor7 said:
^from the article...

..."Monessen said in a statement issued Tuesday that the acquisition will ensure the Vermont Castings brand will continue."

Yeah just like those gypsy pirates that brought the 'troybuilt' name...a name that was held in great esteem for years...and now they make junk products that sell at big box stores like HD. Not that I'm knocking HD...just hate to see a good name trashed.

Hmmm, I love my big screen with HD programming almost as much as the kodiak bear. :smirk:

Very little communication out of the new owners - then again, I think they just settled on the purchase last week. It's not like Monesson is well known in the wood end of things.....they may have a plan, they may not. The price was probably right, and they probably have a lot of ideas.

But the company is a HECK of a lot way from being resurrected. The company need faces (people), they need a plan and then they need products! Some of the products can be sold as-is, but some have proven not-too-popular with consumers and dealers.

I think it will take most of this season to sort out and then they will have a "new CFM" or whatever at the trade show.

The Riverside Company bought Monessen in 2006 and now the CFM assets are their 17th aquisition this year. This is going to get goofy.

Imagine trying to throw saddles on 18 running horses.

Webmaster said:
Very little communication out of the new owners - then again, I think they just settled on the purchase last week. It's not like Monesson is well known in the wood end of things.....they may have a plan, they may not. The price was probably right, and they probably have a lot of ideas.

But the company is a HECK of a lot way from being resurrected. The company need faces (people), they need a plan and then they need products! Some of the products can be sold as-is, but some have proven not-too-popular with consumers and dealers.

I think it will take most of this season to sort out and then they will have a "new CFM" or whatever at the trade show.

are they going to keep the indiana factory open? gawd i hope so , even though they compete for the same market we do , i can honestly say they make a good product and more importantly ,these are american workers who turn those units out in indiana , i for one hope they stay up and running (if for no other reason than to bring back the friendly competition ;) )

The last Huntington workers were layed off last week and the equipment has been sold to another company. The building hasn't been bought yet by anybody as far as I know.

I never picked up a blower for my Lowes CFM special. I hope they will be available. If not I guess I'll be looking at adapting Englander's blower since they are probably going to be sold at HD and Lowes this year.

Matt

I have heard that Onward (OMC) has stepped up to purchase the Huntington Plant. But will robably use it for BBQ and Outdoor Accessories. At least it ensures some of the local workforce will be employed.

VC stove production is in full effect, with no plans to disco anything as of yet. Some colors may be dropped, though.

EatenByLimestone said:
I never picked up a blower for my Lowes CFM special. I hope they will be available. If not I guess I'll be looking at adapting Englander's blower since they are probably going to be sold at HD and Lowes this year.

Matt

what does the mounting area look like? or better yet,PM me a picture , i'll let ya know if we have anything that would work

Status
Not open for further replies.