latest score...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elijah

Oct 14, 2009
Salt Lake City, UT
Found this about 30 minutes from the house. It's some kind of maple, but not sure which one. It looks to be over a cord in rounds, big heavy rounds, I might add...

Attachments

• IMG_3827a.jpg
    IMG_3827a.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 392
Awesome :)

just out of curiousity.. if its measuring a cord in rounds what do you estimate it will be in splits.. i know it will change pending on how tightly stacked and size of splits but does anyone have a way to estimate

Maple must of been the wood of the day...Nice job.

Nice score. Was someone thoughtful enough to buck it so consistently or did they leave it for you?

SolarAndWood said:
Nice score. Was someone thoughtful enough to buck it so consistently or did they leave it for you?

They left it for me to buck. It was cleared on a little 3/4 acre lot that is going to be developed in the city. They used their huge back hoe to 'drop' the trees. I was able to back my trailer up right next to the pile which is always a big plus!

Knocking trees down with a backhoe is fun. It's nice they left it somewhere you could back up to and buck yourself. Perfect score.

That is a dandy score. Congratulations.

Nice score.

Occo370 said:
just out of curiousity.. if its measuring a cord in rounds what do you estimate it will be in splits.. i know it will change pending on how tightly stacked and size of splits but does anyone have a way to estimate
I usually estimate that split it will increase by 10% if you stack tightly.

Occo370 said:

In my limited experience, if I can get straight, clean splits, I'll get about about 10 percent more. My first cord and a half of chinese elm rounds turned into 2 cords after splitting because I wasn't able to stack it tight at all. But for my future counting and planning I adjust 10 percent or so or just slightly round up.

Looks to be silver maple, BTW.

elijah said:
Found this about 30 minutes from the house. It's some kind of maple, but not sure which one. It looks to be over a cord in rounds, big heavy rounds, I might add...

elijah nice score, it looks like you have been getting some rain is snow next.

zap

DiscoInferno said:

Just looked up some pics of this and I think you're right. I brought home a little twig/branch with some leaves and it matched up. I hope this is good burning wood, it wasn't as heavy as the elm I brought home the prior weekend. Thanks for the tip!

zapny said:
elijah said:

elijah nice score, it looks like you have been getting some rain is snow next.

zap

Yeah, I think so and so does the weather channel. Ever since I moved here in 2001, we've always had 1 snowstorm in October. The snow doesn't stick or really cause any havoc, but it happens every year. I thought this might be the first year without the Oct snow storm but it looks like we might get it this week.

elijah said:
DiscoInferno said:

Just looked up some pics of this and I think you're right. I brought home a little twig/branch with some leaves and it matched up. I hope this is good burning wood, it wasn't as heavy as the elm I brought home the prior weekend. Thanks for the tip!

It will split easily, season fairly quickly, and burn fine, but it is a fairly light/low-BTU wood. Somewhat below elm on the charts.

Status
Not open for further replies.