Latest update on Almost New Cub Cadet 27 Ton Splitter at Pawn Shop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
Quick recap. A month ago I found a 27 ton Cub Cadet at a nearby Pawn shop. Looks brand new and unused. No scratches, not scuffs - as if it has never been touched by wood. The thing is in default on a pawn loan and was not even on the store's floor but in the adjacent storage building. Asst. Manager thought they might tag it at $900 but it would be up to the owner.
So, yesterday I went with cash in pocket. The owner was actually there and had been told that I was interested.
She did some checking and said they would be asking $1100.

I declined, saying that I could get it's clone, brand new with a warranty at Lowes for about $1400.
She asked me to leave a written offer and that perhaps she would consider it at a later date if I had not already bought another one. I wrote out an offer for $800 'drive out.' That's about half the price of a new one. I don't really need 27 tons. I can hardly justify even owning one at all but I thought if I could get a killer deal I could turn around and sell it right away and make a profit of two or three hundred bucks. Or, just keep it.

I'm still in the market. Would love to find a good deal on a gently used Huskee 22 ton. I've been in email correspondence
with a Craigslist seller with a one year old Huskee 22 that is asking $750 but he's about an hour and a half drive from here... That's about $50 or more in gasoline.

We'll see.

I think they will take it. One would think this time of year there would not be lot of lookers at splitters. I have never pawned anything but they maybe have $500 into the thing. If they call you I would say that I had the money set aside but you had to spend $100 of it for an emergency but you would be willing to pay $700. I have been to a couple of the local pawn shops here and their stuff is as high as new stuff.

Good luck.

Good luck Ken.

Get about 50lbs of black powder, I will walk you through it! :cheese:

They are dumb not to take 800 for it. For practicality purposes it does sound like the 22 is a much better fit for you. I wanted a 22 but wound up with an MTD 25. I dont run it all that much but it splits everything and is still relatively easy to move around which for me is the biggest part (I am sure the 22 would be even better for portability). As a homeowner with limited space, moving and storing it are the most important things for me. I am sure I would have been happier in those regards with a 22 and I highly doubt I would have found it underpowered. What swayed me was the Honda motor which generally cranks the prices way up on all of these machines and honestly at this point I am not even really sure why I am so bent on Honda. I love Honda motors but maybe there is not a real difference these days. I got mine off of Craigslist less than 1 year old with a Honda motor for 700. Good deals are out there but you have to act quick on them. I think in this case bigger is not necessarily better unless its a killer deal. Again just my opinion and good luck!

Exactly right, 46Hemi. The only reason I would go for this 27 tonner is if I can almost steal it. Most likely it's going to sit there. She (the owner) thinks she can hang on to it until Fall and get a premium price for it. In this part of the country (south, central Texas) there are not just a heck of a lot of people who burn and produce their own wood, especially on a scale big enough to justify a splitter. I'm marginal on that but we do heat exclusively with wood.

But I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for the phone call. I'm looking!

Status
Not open for further replies.