Lath Kindling--estimate on time to dry?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

annette

Nov 19, 2005
the Indiana Riviera
Visit site
I just scrounged lath from a demolished house. It's been rained on all summer, and some of it was in contact with the ground. Any guesses on how long it will take to dry out and be usable kindling? I'll chop it up soon and probably store it in buckets under a tarp, but if it won't be useful this year I'll stick it in the back of the yard instead of near the house.

I have used lathe as kindling and from my experience you will have no problem burning it now.

Be careful how much you put in at a time, it burns hot and fast. I'd be surprised if it took more than a day or two in the sun to dry out.

I doubt they would dry very fast stuffed into buckets under a tarp. Just tie them in bundles with twine.

Well, right now I have it tied in a heap on my "cutting table," with a tarp over it making sort of a wind tunnel. I guess I'll see how it looks after a few days in there. Leaving it exposed won't dry it out--winters here involve thaws and freezing for a lot of the winter, and what's predicted right now is rain turning to snow (our first snow!)

I won't stuff the stove with the lath, but I've been using thin hardwood offcuts as kindling for awhile, and it sure is nice for heating up the stove and getting everything going. When I was a kid we always had a few layers of lath in the fireplace to get the oak logs to ignite, so I know the power of the lath!

Even if it was soaked, should dry in less than a week.

I have been using 85 year old lath for 3 years. It is excellent kindling. I save it for when I've have to use borderline seasoned wood, or if I am pressed for time and have to get the stove up to CAT engage temp quicker (mostly shoulder season).

annette said:
I just scrounged lath from a demolished house. It's been rained on all summer, and some of it was in contact with the ground. Any guesses on how long it will take to dry out and be usable kindling? I'll chop it up soon and probably store it in buckets under a tarp, but if it won't be useful this year I'll stick it in the back of the yard instead of near the house.

Is it red oak or shagbark hickory?

Bigg_Redd said:
annette said:

Pignut I think. That or chinese dutch mulbapine tree. If its the latter, a good 10 years at least??

PINEBURNER said:
Bigg_Redd said:
annette said:

Pignut I think. That or chinese dutch mulbapine tree. If its the latter, a good 10 years at least??

Pignut takes forever to cure - both Dutch and Chinese.

annette said:

Of everything we have ever tried for kindling, I rank lath as number 1!!!

I doubt it will take very long to dry as that stuff had to have been super dry before sitting in the rain. I too would tie it (wire or baling twine) up in bundles. Hang it in your garage or something similar.

Use it sparringly and it will last for years and you will be making many fast fires.

Well, you guys lost me with the mulbapine stuff.

I'll let you know if it looks Oak-y when I cut it up. It would be great if it does dry fast.

I do a lot of cold starts in my stove, so I'm always on the lookout for good kindling!

In an old house (without a stove) , I burned all the lathe we took out of the house in a burn pile. It scared the living @@#$ out of me how quickly it went up - and that was in my uninsulated cavity walls..

Status
Not open for further replies.