Lawn tractor-powered splitter ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian VT

Minister of Fire
Jul 30, 2008
Southern VT
I didn't have much luck searching the web. I remember seeing one on here that was mounted to the front of the tractor.
I use my 18hp MTD just for pulling the wood trailer around. There's a turning pulley under the engine that used to drive the mower deck.
I was thinking about powering a splitter with it. I don't think I'd want the splitter mounted to the front of the tractor but maybe, if it wasn't too heavy.
I'm thinking more toward having a bracket to mount the hydro. pump to accept a drive belt from the engine and the rest of the splitter to be self-contained.
Any leads on something like that on the 'net ?
Maybe I should just forget it and get a Unicorn to mount to the rear wheel ? lol (no thanks)

I think I recall seeing a picture on here of an old JD 110 or 120 with a front mounted splitter (mounted crossways to the tractor) that ran off the pto pulley on the side of the engine. My 5hp briggs sips fuel vs. my 26hp briggs on the GT and I don't think that the 5X increase in HP would help me split 5X faster. But if you don't have a splitter at all this might be an easy way to get going.

I've often dreamt of one that worked horizontally on a loader frame that you could drive up to a horizontal round and just throw a lever, split it, pick it up, then dump it in a cart. If someone patents one in a few months you heard it here first!!!!

The fabrication required seems like a lot of hassle to save buying a motor for a splitter. Find a used splitter that doesn't run for a couple hundred bucks and revive it. For some reason, people park them when they don't start and they generally don't have that many hours on them. Kind of like snow blowers.

Status
Not open for further replies.