1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Lawn Tractors

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Beer Belly, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Maybe true today, but according to a friend who's a retired Deere dealer mechanic, this was not the case 10 years ago. It's going to take Deere a generation to undo the damage caused to their reputation by that bonehead move, as many still assume semipro's statement is the case.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    I agree 100%......
  3. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    As soon as the warranty runs out on this thing, I am gonna get a zero turn:
    100_1552.jpg
    bioman, MasterMech and Beer Belly like this.
  4. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Independent rear braking on a tricycle... pretty sure you already have a zero-turn, there.
  5. Bret Hart

Bret Hart Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Canastota NY

Might have to wait a while to replace that one. Looks like it has another 50 years left in it.
  6. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Its been doing the job for 74 years now. Was told it has a 75 year warranty. It will probably fall apart next year.;lol
  7. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Yeah, but it looks like you wore out the original seat within the warranty period. Or... did it wear out you?
  8. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Yes. The old butt slapper pan seats were not known to be comfortable. Now that air ride, fully adjustable puppy that resides on it now...Oh, yeah. Folding arm rests and all.:cool:
  9. ironpony

ironpony Minister of Fire

Loc:
    mid-ohio via St.Croix USVI
    I have a 1937 JD B on skeleton steel wheels, talk about a rough ride...... it aerates the lawn well though.
    MasterMech likes this.
  10. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Good traction in the slop though.;)
  11. ironpony

ironpony Minister of Fire

Loc:
    mid-ohio via St.Croix USVI

only if it does not sink....................
  12. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    Love them ol' Tractors.....can get them on Craigslist here, fully restored for under 3k:cool:
    Jags likes this.
  13. blades

blades Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI, Milw
    1500 and under and a bunch above that also are just lawn mowers, the trannies all hydro have little to no provision for cooling themselves and are the weak link in all of them. none of them are for ground contact addons. And are fairly poor at towing anything as well. If the trany goes south might as well just buy another one as the replacement cost is 2/3 of the mower. ( rebuilding is not an option either as it cost all most as much, with shipping more) Name brand doesn't mean squat in this price range. All are built to maximize profit at the expense of durability.
  14. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Pictures or .........
  15. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

If your looking for garden tractor capability in the $1500 range (new machines) then you indeed are going to be very disappointed. I'm pretty sure the OP is looking for something that looks good to the neighbors (and the wife), won't fly apart on him in 2 years and oh yeah, cuts grass. If he was looking for a stump puller my recommendations would have been very different.
  16. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    It doesn't take much of a stump to stop a much larger tractor. The owner in this photo apparently failed Physics 101.

[​IMG]
  17. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    Yep. Sorry for the misinformation. My info is dated by at least 3 years.
  18. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Ten years ago I bought a Husqvarna branded 22 horse garden tractor at HD. I have worked that thing like a rented mule doing everything around here. Including many overloaded trailers full of wood up hill out of my woods and plowing snow. Never has missed a beat. One problem now is that the float in the carb is stuck so I have to park it aimed uphill a little until I am sure warm weather is here for good and take the carb off.

The Huskys and their twins the Craftsman tractors are made by American Yard Products (AYP) in North Carolina.
  19. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    That is where the Ariens model I bought at the HD a couple of years came from. It also is hydrostatic and a 22 hp vtwin BS Intek. Interesting how they've changed the design and now the tank isn't under the seat anymore, plus the latest trend seems to be "Automatic", which involves pedals somehow. I've towed many overloaded trailer loads of wood from my splitting area down the driveway.
  20. nate379

nate379 Guest

Wanted to mention to that the ZTR works just fine for tugging a yard cart around. I made a hitch for the back of it (the ones they sell would have lasted me a day at best) I used it all this summer to move gravel and stone around, musta had close to 1000lbs in the cart and no troubles moving it.
    Also used it to drag an old 1 ton 4x4 van around in the driveway. Probably not the best thing to do, but I didn't blow up the hydrostatic!

Bought it last year with 100 hours, was 2 or 3 years ago. I put about 350hrs on it just last summer. After running a ZTR for a while there's no way I'd go back to a tractor for lawn mowing. I can't think of even one benefit a tractor has over a ZTR.

I keep the snowblower on the tractor instead of swapping between the deck and the blower (PITA!).
  21. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Pushing a snow plow / snow blower.

Yep.

Actually, I do a lot of fertilizing and yearly aerating / over-seeding on my lawn, and would find it impossible to do that with my ZTrak.
  22. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

I believe AYP is no more but for all intents and purposes HOP (Husqvarna Outdoor Power) is the same thing these days.

I thought newer Craftsman was built by MTD since the Sears/Husqvarna relationship went south? I could be wrong on that one tho.
  23. nate379

nate379 Guest

I'm talking for cutting grass...

Don't know what you are using for fertilizer but I pull a spreader and aerator around with my ZTR and it works just fine.

A cheapo "throw away" lawn tractor isn't going to be any better than even a low end ZTR.

Now if you want to get into pulling little plows and all that, it's garden tractor or CUT and $1000 ain't gonna touch anything that's new!

24. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    My spreader is a Herd M-12, which would likely have you ZTR in permanent wheelie stance! The bigger problem, even with a more "residentially sized" spreader, is maintaining constant speed for proper coverage, and controlling the hopper shutter to start/stop. This is where a little tow-behind broadcast spreader on a lawn/garden tractor excels.

Plug aerators are very hard on hydrostatic units with insufficient cooling. Even my little 42" / 200 lb. unit put a good strain on the IH Cub 123.
  25. nate379

nate379 Guest

I'd love to see photos of that spreader mounted to a lawn tractor. That thing is made for a CUT which is not what the OP is looking to buy.