Lazy burn already!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

save$

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2008
Chelsea Maine
Just after 3 tons, I am getting this lazy burn. Now, not a bad one, but the pot is filling with ash on day 2. Clean and bush it out, I get a good burn, but this dosn't last but a day and I am right back. Did the leaf blower thing. Good burn, but not for long. OAK is not obstructed. (ran a lint brush through it) Hum, I have burned 3 tons, done the leaf blower thing three times. Clean the inside of the stove out every 3ed day, now every second day. Did the dollar bill, fair seal. Uh, must be time for the big cleaining. So out comes the blowers. I take the vac, brushes, and steel wool to every nook and surface I can find. Inside the blower chamber is all black soot. Not thick and wipes right off. I tap on the back of the burn chamber, vac everything again. Put it all back together. That was Monday PM. took me two hours. Sove is still running really well. No accumulation in the burn pot. I don't know how that layer of soot made such a change, but it did, and now that it is gone, it is all better.

I just cleaned my exhaust venting this past weekend after 3 tons,... the exiting diameter at the rear of the stove was nearly half clogged.

Vent system should be cleaned after every ton. You have gone way beyond that. Read your manual ,it will give you a guide of cleaning schedule for all components.

I would guess that last cleaning got something missed. Maybe an ash buildup sucked clean by the vac not noticed in the dark recess of the exhaust flue.

I just cleaned my stove today. Got out of work early, so did a complete cleaning. Vent and all. It's been 3 tons since I've done the vent also.

Yup after every ton, it makes a difference for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.