Lazy Flame on Englander 25-PUF

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brentmccarthy

Oct 13, 2010
Central Maine
All,

I've searched the topic and can't find anything specific to my problem. I'm trying to help my sister in law with her 25-puf which she hasn't run in two years. I've cleaned it pretty well (burn pot, opened access panels, ash pan, exhaust piping, and combustion blower outlet). I looked at and cleaned the hopper gasket, the door gasket, and the one on the ash pan. All looked in good condition and appeared to seal tightly.

The unit will start up fine, but the flame is large and VERY lazy, almost like the combustion blower isn't doing what it should to force air through the burn pot. I will pull the side panel off and see if I can get into the housing to clean the combustion blower out, but I haven't done that yet. I read the manual and it says the outside air kit is mandatory. Hers is not hooked up. The house is probably late 1800s and is anything but tight. Will the OAK make a difference? When I put my hand over the air intake, there is enough negative pressure to hold a piece of against it, but not much more.

I'm also interested in how to reset the board to the factory settings for low fuel feed, low burn air, and air on temp. I think she changed these settings and the unit clearly isn't running correctly.

I've seen referenced to cleaning out the heat exchanger tubes, but can find no reference to that in the owners manual.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sounds like an air leak... PM Mike Holton and ask him... he's the factory England stove tech here.

Status
Not open for further replies.