Lazy way to get keep firewood at the ready

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SlyFerret

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2007
Delaware, Ohio
So I had this epiphany tonight (Yes, it occurred where I have most of my epiphanies)...

I was thinking about bringing wood to the porch throughout the winter to keep it handy, and then I thought... that takes too much handling.

I've decided that I'm going to hook my yard trailer to my mower, drive it to the wood pile, fill it with wood, and then put the full trailer back in the garage. It won't take up any more floor space than it already does, and it saves me a bunch of un-necessary work.

What do you guys think? How do you keep your wood handy without doing any more work than is necessary?

-SF

decent idea

i use one of these

3599202.jpg

pull in two carts on the weekend and should have enough for at least four days

Good idea!
My grandparents used to do this, and it worked out great for them. Especially in the middle of winter.

sure i snow blow a path to my wood piles - should be fine as long as the ground is frozen

We don't usually get snow that sticks around for long periods of time here. If we're supposed to get any significant snow, I'll make sure I top off the trailer. I think it should hold about a week's worth.

-SF

I built myself a cheap woodshed out of 4 pallets, 2 on blocks side by side, one on each end upright as a side.
I framed a roof that screws on top, and cover that with a tarp which draps down the back thus leaving only the front open. It sits right outside my back door at the edge of the porch. with 2 rows of 16" splits on it it holds about 2/3 a cord. I am going to build 2 more so I should have 2 cords ready & waiting protected and just outside the door. Everything is screwed together, so in Spring, I unscrew, take it apart and store in the garage until the next burning season. If all goes as I plan, I will only have to load it 2x per heating season. We shall see.

I keep mine in a closet that I lined with plastic from half way up the wall and the floor. It holds about 4 days worth.

good thinking slyferret. i think i might just have to steal your idea. only my trailer is 5'x 8' so its a little harder to maneuver. but then again i could probably fit half a months worth in there. i think i owe you a drink; next time youre in the boston area give me a heads up :)

I use the atv and a trailer or sometimes just a garden way cart, but then I do unload it. Our porch is raised, so I stack wood at the end of the porch and stack it to the rafters in a double row. That way it has to be done only occasionally. Not only does it make it handy for getting wood when needed for the stove, but being on the north side it also serves as a nice wind block. As for handling the wood an extra time, I'm retired and can use the exercise anyway, but it is very little exercise because it takes very little time.

I stack about 2 cords in the basement, another 2 or so right outside the basement door to refill that pile when it gets low. I've got another few cords stacked in another spot that less convenient, but still accessible. All outside piles are used to refill the inside stack.

Being a computer guy I don't get nearly enough exercise, so being at least a bit inefficient about it is probably a good thing.

mayhem said:
Being a computer guy I don't get nearly enough exercise, so being at least a bit inefficient about it is probably a good thing.

I'll second that. Same boat.

Greg Richardson said:
I keep my wood handy by telling my 13 year old he will lose his Wii if more wood isn't brought in. Works well!

thats a really good idea. does it work for making you sandwiches and fetching beers, because if so, ive gotta get me one of them legal slaves, AKA children. :)

I transport my wood via wheel barrow. It only takes 3 or 4 loads to fill me up for the week. A pile goes on the 6' long hearth and a pile sits in the garage in a pallet type contraption as mentioned previously. No big shakes loading wood once per week.

I keep a path to the wood sheds cleared once the snow starts falling and use a wheel barrow, too. The hearth design in my house has space for about 3-4 days worth of wood. I generally get wood every other day, so I don't need to make as many trips with the wheel barrow. If I wait til I've used up all the wood in the house, it generally takes 4-5 trips to the wood shed.

I can use the exercise as well. That's why I send the wife, or hook ole Rosebud the sled up to the shih tzu team. YEAH shih tzus-Yeah!

That or just by the armload. This year I'll load up the porch with a cord or so at a time once it's extra cold out.

Adios Pantalones said:
I can use the exercise as well. That's why I send the wife, or hook ole Rosebud the sled up to the shih tzu team. YEAH shih tzus-Yeah!

That or just by the armload. This year I'll load up the porch with a cord or so at a time once it's extra cold out.

Please tell me that you DON'T have those little antler hoods for those dogs......Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.