Leach Field Fabric

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Aug 20, 2014
Eden, NY
Hey Everyone,

Might be a longshot but I'm trying to get some advice on Leach bed fabric. I'm putting in new leach lateral lines and county requires there to be a geotextile fabric between the stone and backfill. However, no one will specify what size (weight per yard) fabric to use. I've seen everything from 0.5oz to 8 oz fabric.

I'm worried the really thin material wont hold up but also worried to use anything too thick that will prevent good flow....anyone have experience with this and if so what is your recommendation?

thank you!

I don't know but am interested in any info. FYI i'm also in Eden........Utah.

Reactions: Fivehorizons88
I would think it might depend on your perc test and size of your system (number of bedrooms/household size determines that) kinda surprised that the county doesn't spec the fabric too...

There are different systems. Is this gravel or graveless? If gravel, is this for the barrier that goes on top of the gravel surrounding the perforated pipe to stop infiltration by the backfill? There are multiple materials that can be used for that barrier.

I thought there was actually a product designed for leach fields. 5oz sounds about right though.

IMO I would go on the heavier side if in doubt, dirt falling into the gravel bed due to a weak fabric would be far more detrimental than any added resistance to water flow from a heavy fabric over the ~25 year life of the field.

Reactions: johneh
I thought there was actually a product designed for leach fields. 5oz sounds about right though.

IMO I would go on the heavier side if in doubt, dirt falling into the gravel bed due to a weak fabric would be far more detrimental than any added resistance to water flow from a heavy fabric over the ~25 year life of the field.
You may be thinking of this product. A local guy said that landscape fabric works just as well, but that's just one man's opinion.

30 years ago when my system went in I asked the designer and installer to use fabric instead of hay. They both told me that the inspector would fail the installation if fabric was used. I think a few year later they changed the rules and I think fabric is pretty much standard. The Presby Enviro Tech system uses a thick blanket type fabric round their corrugated leach field tubes, the claim is much higher efficiency as the fabric blanket forms a thicker aerobic mat.

In the old days they used nothing, hay, or even newspaper. Remember, the liquid goes down. You’re not passing any liquid up through this barrier. The only thing you don’t want to do is block oxygen. The bugs living in your drain field that eat the nutrients need oxygen. So don’t use plastic.

Call an installer and ask what they use. In our state they require licensed installers since these types of decisions are so important. Otherwise the inspector should have a specific answer.

My personal drainfield from the 70s has just dirt spread back over the rock. Ick! But I suppose is has been working for 50 years. The correct fabric just goes on top to keep the dirt on top from filling up the voids in the clean gravel.

It does not matter what weight you use its just their long enough for the vegetation on top to take a good hold and create its own hold on the ground. Last 2 fields i helped with we used a biodegradable paper, worked great and much cheaper than the fabric

It does not matter what weight you use its just their long enough for the vegetation on top to take a good hold and create its own hold on the ground. Last 2 fields i helped with we used a biodegradable paper, worked great and much cheaper than the fabric

Not true. The backfill over the trench can be much thicker than the roots of any grass will ever reach. I would be upset if my installer used paper and then put two feet of fill over it.

Where I'm from the code is no more than 5" of fill over the bead.. they prefer about 3" as they want air to get down into the system.. Over hear yo have not been able to burry a field 2 feet in the ground. Even when i was doing installs 20 years ago you were lot allowed more than a foot below the surface and they wanted most of the trench filled with drain rock and a couple inches of fill... The 2 foot field was old school here a guy would just do anything and did a pipe strait down for 20 feet and let er rip..LOL... funny part is most of those fields are still working perfectly.. Heck i remember as a kit out tank drained into the ditch in the front yard, could never smell it and never had a issue and that was allowed..

Reactions: Highbeam