Leaf blower setup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ablejoy

Feeling the Heat
Leaf blower is setup all I need is a hose to get the exhaust out the door. I can't climb on the roof to unsteady had a chimney sweep up there last week. Will take a picture when I fire the blower.

Attachments

• DSCN1360.jpg
    DSCN1360.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 620
WOW....you'd better be VERY, VERY sure the hose on the outlet side of that blower doesn't come off. :bug:

AZ Pellet Guy said:
Leaf blower is setup all I need is a hose to get the exhaust out the door. I can't climb on the roof to unsteady had a chimney sweep up there last week. Will take a picture when I fire the blower.

Yeah just make sure that you seal up that exhaust REAL well! lol Looks Good.

I hope it went well. If I had to, I would have maybe "Blew" up the Flue... There was a guy last year that blew instead of sucked from the outside (also had stove door open) and boy was it a mess!! Always be careful when doing the leaf blower trick.

Could you remove a section or two outside (I don't know your entire set-up) I am glad I don't have to go on the roof. Hope you made out ok yesterday. Yeah, Pics or a Video would be great!

Attachments

• Leaf-Blower on house.jpg
    Leaf-Blower on house.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 546
I hope it went well. If I had to, I would have maybe "Blew" up the Flue... There was a guy last year that blew instead of sucked from the outside (also had stove door open) and boy was it a mess!! Always be careful when doing the leaf blower trick.

Could you remove a section or two outside (I don't know your entire set-up) I am glad I don't have to go on the roof. Hope you made out ok yesterday. Yeah, Pics or a Video would be great!

Attachments

• Leaf-Blower on house.jpg
    Leaf-Blower on house.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 540
I really, really suggest you build a system that allows you to take the leaf blower outside. You can still suck but make the extra pipe on the low pressure end not the high pressure end. I Really do not think you are going to push that out without leaks in your home.

Hope it works but I'm betting on needing to dust the whole house.

could you knock up something made of PVC that you fit together, tape the seams, and have the leaf blower outside? Also may want to put some tape across the the part of of the leaf blower switch that blows so that only the off, on, and suction can be used. Should any of that soot get into your home, you will be forever getting it out. I rig my leaf blower to a remote contol so I can be at the stove when the leaf blower is working. I like to open and close the door during the suction cleanout.
Don't blame you for not wanting to climb. I don't do that anymore either.

I have not finished setting up trying to figure a way to get the blower out side also I am in no hurry.

AZ Pellet Guy said:
I have not finished setting up trying to figure a way to get the blower out side also I am in no hurry.

Good thing. I even thought for a while that you were joking when I saw the picture last night. It reminds me of the time when I was a kid that our Christmas tree was too tall so my dad fired up the chainsaw in the living room! I think my mom is still cleaning up sawdust and chain oil. :0

AZ I would be concerned that all the "wind/soot" will not go up the chimney and that some will go backwards into the stove and your living room.

Re read your post I guess your tying to "suck" out the ash and use a long hose to vent the blower outside.

smalltown

I was thinking of plugging the pipe above the tee and just remove ash from stove and yes I would need a long length of hose to exhaust outside. The pipe and stove has been cleaned. I guess I should have waited to take a picture till it was completed. Going to move the weed eater outside of the house to be on the safe side.
Will post when I get it working

I have the same set-up, cleanout & T on the back and in the livingroom. I experimented a couple of years ago with a converted shopvac, but it didn't have nearly enough suction. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/36637/ I did make a plug that could be fitted up into the cleanout to block the flue and pull vacuum from the stove only. I now have a good leaf blower that vacuums. I agree with the others that it would be safer to have a long inlet hose rather than outlet, and the machine outside. however, I'd think the vacuum would be way more effective the closer to the stove the blower inlet is. Please keep us posted on progress. My cleaning is going to be within the next few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.