leaf blower trick and test mode

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckster

Burning Hunk
Jan 21, 2012
Sussex County NJ
I am wondering if I use the leaf blower trick on my Harman XXV and run the stove test mode with the door open so the igniter won't work if the fans running will help to get rid of some extra ash that has accumulated in the fans.
Chuck

Not necessary. IMO

I do leave the door open to avoid unhooking vac switch.

It would only help the exhaust blower. Leaf blower trick does not incorporate the convection blower.

As Smoke said. Not needed. Just hook up and turn on. Leave door open if you leave vacuum switch connected. (Or not, some people dont and have had good luck. Not worth the risk IMO).

Im gonna be doing a full cleaning on the Quad today. Including leafblower trick. Gonna try and get a good video. Although its only about 25-30 bags since the last cleaning. May not be a spectacular show! ;-P

DexterDay said:
It would only help the exhaust blower. Leaf blower trick does not incorporate the convection blower.

As Smoke said. Not needed. Just hook up and turn on. Leave door open if you leave vacuum switch connected. (Or not, some people dont and have had good luck. Not worth the risk IMO).

Im gonna be doing a full cleaning on the Quad today. Including leafblower trick. Gonna try and get a good video. Although its only about 25-30 bags since the last cleaning. May not be a spectacular show! ;-P

Be sure to post the video! I used the linteater with shopvac attachment last weekend and removed the filter in the shopvac. Only had about 35 bags through it since the last vent cleaning but still threw a small ash cloud.

mepellet said:
DexterDay said:

Be sure to post the video! I used the linteater with shopvac attachment last weekend and removed the filter in the shopvac. Only had about 35 bags through it since the last vent cleaning but still threw a small ash cloud.

Absolutely will do so.... Hoping it turns out well. Gonna take a minute to set up production and get all props in place ;-P

I prob wont get a large cloud like some videos out there. Last year I had some good ones, but never thought to record them myself. I have ran about a ton through the Quad, but I cleaned at the half ton mark. So its only a half ton cleaning. Been burning mainly Prest-Logs in it, which is a pretty ashy pellet. That produces a fairly grainy and dark ash.

I have burned about a ton through my Fahrenheit. Waiting as long as I can to do it's vent. I believe I will wait till the end of season. As the horizontal section isnt bad and I pulled the clean-out cap amd there really isnt that much in there. But there is a lot of passages and channels for the ash to get trapped or settle before hitting the flue..

Getting all supplies ready now. Lint-eater, leafblower, assortment of brushes, and making a gasket (order 4 sheets of gasket material off of ebay, from a link posted on this site, really thick stuff).

PAV1 said:
Anyone know how to disconnect a vaccum hose on cb1200i

The hose goes from the switch in the back, up to the side of the auger chute. Mine is on the left side, when looking at the stove. Mine is a freestanding, but the hose location should be the same.

I pull the hose off of the switch instead. Then blow through the hose and it will clear the fines out of the end. Then leave disconnected while cleaning and using leafblower.

Edit : Pic added. This is what the switch may look like (depending on how old the unit is).

Attachments

• vacswitch.jpg
    vacswitch.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 452
O Boy! Can't wait to try it for the first time on Tuesday. Weekly clean the XXV day. Can't find the switch so the door stays open!!!
Chuck

Just did the weekly cleaning as usual then for the first time ever ran a brush thru the vent pipe then did the leaf blower trick. Boy! A lot more ash came out and all is running very nicely now. Did this after about a ton of pellets and now it will be part of my cleaning schedule every ton or less. :)
Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.