Leaf blower trick on Englander

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stillersnut

Sep 14, 2009
south central pa.
I have a Englander PAH and want to perform leaf blower trick this weekend (after it finally warms up). My question is do I have to disconnect anything within this stove so I don't damage internals? Or just hook up & let it fly?

From what I understand you need to disconnect the vacuum switch so you don't wreck it. On my PDVC I just cracked the stove door open and it survived. Maybe the more experienced can clue us in.

I just crack the doors open. No problems here... Works for me.

Reactions: chrisasst
I have a question about the leaf blower trick.I have my exhuast pipe going thru tje side wall into a clean out tee. That is placed at a slight angle. My leaf blower is a large gas engine one that has a back pack attached to it. The snorkel on the leaf blower comes apart in 3 different peices. The largest peice is about 3 1/2 inches dia. Is it possiable that I can take the clean out cap off and blow up thru the 3 inches chimney. Creating a venturi effect on the stove ?

I have never disconnected my vacuum hoses on either Englander stove I had...BUT....I do carry a spare vacuum switch in case I'd blow it out. I guess I'm just lazy to pull the cover off to disconnect. Good practice is to disconnect it though.

I leave to door open and then turn the blower on and slowly close and open the door multiple times so it sucks EVERYTHING out.

I have a question about the leaf blower trick.I have my exhuast pipe going thru tje side wall into a clean out tee. That is placed at a slight angle. My leaf blower is a large gas engine one that has a back pack attached to it. The snorkel on the leaf blower comes apart in 3 different peices. The largest peice is about 3 1/2 inches dia. Is it possiable that I can take the clean out cap off and blow up thru the 3 inches chimney. Creating a venturi effect on the stove ?

Man, to me it doesn't seem like that would work to well but I guess you could give it a try.......I don't think you would get enough vacuum effect out of that but what do I know...lol

Man, to me it doesn't seem like that would work to well but I guess you could give it a try.......I don't think you would get enough vacuum effect out of that but what do I know...lol

I must apologize, for my previous comments - somehow, while searching for your previous posts - a different member (who DID have problems with his stove), came up, and I mistakenly , assumed, it was you. Sorry for throwing a monkey wrench, into your thread.

I must apologize, for my previous comments - somehow, while searching for your previous posts - a different member (who DID have problems with his stove), came up, and I mistakenly , assumed, it was you. Sorry for throwing a monkey wrench, into your thread.

No biggie, thought I missed something earlier...lol

No biggie, thought I missed something earlier...lol

FWIW - for some reason,
altarr
came up twice, while searching your previous posts...darned if I know why, or I had a really BAD blonde moment.

*still scratching head, about that, since it doesn't now (except your replies, within those threads)

I wouldn't use your expensive backpack leaf blower on the leaf blower trick. Just get a $40 electric leaf blower.

Reactions: IHATEPROPANE
[quote I wouldn't use your expensive backpack leaf blower on the leaf blower trick. Just get a $40 electric leaf blower. [/quote]

I agree-- these leaf blowers get really dirty.

My plan is to just take the end cap off the clean out tee and blow up through the tee and through the 3 inch chimney. Createing a venturi. Very simular to how clam boats dredge the bottom. My blower will only blow air and no way to convert it to suck out.My chimney cap is about 8 feet above me.

My plan is to just take the end cap off the clean out tee and blow up through the tee and through the 3 inch chimney. Createing a venturi. Very simular to how clam boats dredge the bottom. My blower will only blow air and no way to convert it to suck out.My chimney cap is about 8 feet above me.

The problem, I would see in this, is if the vent has restriction, you are blasting the stove innards, with high pressured air, making the problem worse.

*edit to add...you can attach a leaf blower "vacuum", to anywhere on the vent outside (does not have to be at the cap)

Yeah. Don't do that. If you want to come from that direction take the cap off of the tee, crack the door and suck the stuff out. I don't know of any backpack leaf vacs out there. Do not do this. You will be sorry.

I understand now. However, you won't get as much sucking power that way, and you will likely get a cloud of ash right at your stove pipe exit! Using the cheap leaf blower trick, you can aim the ash cloud, and shoot it away from the house. Did I mention it's cheap? $39. Some have gotten them for less.

Status
Not open for further replies.