Leaf Blower trick, with a twist?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadMax31

Burning Hunk
Jan 2, 2015
Pittstown NY
Ive run a total of 2 tons through my stove since I installed it Jan 2015. While I clean it each afternoon when we get home before its overnight burn, I only cleaned the tee out once. It was packed more full than I anticipated. Im going to clean the combustion wheel soon as well.

I have a cute little Milwaukee 18v blower for the garage that I can hook to intake air port and maybe blast the exchanger free of some ash. My vent up is 4" and vents out the roof. Id like to skip climbing up there and clog up my little blower. Ive read and watched videos of leaf blowers Sucking the ash out, but could it Blow the ash out?

Thanks

Cheap HD Jobber... "Homelite.."
perfect 4" fits right in with no adapter needed.. wooooooooooosh................

Attachments

• IMG_1841.JPG
    IMG_1841.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_1993.JPG
    IMG_1993.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 233
Lets see if I have this right . You want to hook up your
blower to the pipe for the OAK . so the only thing to worry
about is the door and ash door seals . Could blow ash all
over the house . You may also blow the vac. switch if you don't
disconnect the hose . Me I think I'll get up on the roof

Been several stories of the mishaps trying to push the ash etc. Best advise is "Don't even consider it" a small crack or hole will bring disaster. A good brushing is needed every season so while your giving the pipe a good scouring stick the blower on and give it a proper suck out.

I would not think you could get enough volume going thru intake to do much good. Then kiss your vac switch good bye!

You want vacuum within the stove, not postive pressure. You'll end up with ash entering your home. (As stated above)

Go for it...we'll need video footage as ...um....proof....lol

Reactions: Ranger72
Im not worried about the vacuum switch, just disconnect it... Im betting my blower doesnt have the grunt to force much out the flue cap. Ill just suck it up, and get on the roof, and just suck it up... again...

I use my shop vac and blow it from the stove up through the chimney. I have never had a problem and it blows a lot of ash out so I know it is working. Just make sure you have a tight seal before you start. In my stove the vac hose fit very snug.

Status
Not open for further replies.