Leaf blower trick with an insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

forya

Feb 18, 2010
Bucks County Pa
Anyone ever tried the leaf blower trick with an insert? I would use an electric leaf blower, and a tarp to keep anything that might come out inside the fire box area.

The dryer brush gets it pretty clean, but takes a long time to do 25' of chimney liner, and it can never get all the ash out of the cap, which is real hard to get to, especially in the snow.

Yep. Did a Santa Fe last month with a 17' 4" liner. Ran the lint-eater up and down a couple times. Put the leafblower in the 4" vent and turned it on. Went back down and opened and closed the stove door a couple times to aid in the sucking.

Try and un-hook the vacuum line before doing so. As such high pressure could hurt it.

Attachments

• leafblower.jpg
    leafblower.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 970
forya said:
Anyone ever tried the leaf blower trick with an insert? I would use an electric leaf blower, and a tarp to keep anything that might come out inside the fire box area.

The dryer brush gets it pretty clean, but takes a long time to do 25' of chimney liner, and it can never get all the ash out of the cap, which is real hard to get to, especially in the snow.

You kinda lost me. whats gonna come out of the firebox area?

I don't have an insert, but I clean my vertical vent w/leaf blower. see avatar.

I always thought you blew up from the bottom, I learn something new every day. The picture really helped.
That would work, but it's tough to get up on the roof

No blowing. Use the vacuum side of the leafblower and "Suck" the ash out.

Where is this vacuum line that you speak of?

I'm thinking of doing a good clean out of my Harmon Accentra this weekend before I get it going for the season.

Dont know exactly on the Harman. But look for your vacuum switch in the back of the stove. Should have a little rubber hose going from the switch to somewhere on the stove. Disconnect it from either end so the switch isnt subjected to the Super High vacuum levels.

smoke show said:
DexterDay said:
No blowing.... "Suck"....

:bug:

more wise advise from the resident code cop. :lol:

I knew when posting that you would have a comment. Thats half the reason I worded it that way. Im sure there is more than one joke in there.

Always good for a laugh Smoke..... ;-P

BTW- How many ton had you ran through your Mt. Vernon before the leafblowing photo in your Avatar? Thats a thick cloud.

FredDels said:

I'm thinking of doing a good clean out of my Harmon Accentra this weekend before I get it going for the season.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Same question here.Any Harmon p38 owners out there that has done the leaf blower to their stove?I have no idea if I have this vacuum tube or how to locate it?Also will the vacuum trick over rev the blowers on the stove?

tony58 said:
FredDels said:

Same question here.Any Harmon p38 owners out there that has done the leaf blower to their stove?I have no idea if I have this vacuum tube or how to locate it?Also will the vacuum trick over rev the blowers on the stove?

Yes it has a vacuum switch. Locate the little (normally black) hose about 3/8" in diameter and pull it from the nipple. The only blower affected will be the combustion blower. I thought it would spin like crazy also. But thats not the case. Mine spins at such a slow rate (door open) that I can count the RPM's.

Look in your manual or online for the vacuum. Some people dont pull it and have had luck. I dont want to risk it. My luck and I would ruin the diaphragm.

Should be a small round (sometimes square in appearance) looking device. Smaller than your fist, with black hose and 2 wires (on mine anyways) going to it.

forya said:

I must admit to do it the way you suggest it would be pretty funny to watch. If you do it provide pictures.

DexterDay said:
tony58 said:
FredDels said:

Yes it has a vacuum switch. Locate the little (normally black) hose about 3/8" in diameter and pull it from the nipple. The only blower affected will be the combustion blower. I thought it would spin like crazy also. But thats not the case. Mine spins at such a slow rate (door open) that I can count the RPM's.

Look in your manual or online for the vacuum. Some people dont pull it and have had luck. I dont want to risk it. My luck and I would ruin the diaphragm.

Should be a small round (sometimes square in appearance) looking device. Smaller than your fist, with black hose and 2 wires (on mine anyways) going to it.

Thanks for the heads up. I was planning on using a leaf blower for cleaning and didn't know about the vacuum tube.
Is there anything else a person should do before doing this.

rudy426 said:
DexterDay said:
tony58 said:
FredDels said:

Thanks for the heads up. I was planning on using a leaf blower for cleaning and didn't know about the vacuum tube.
Is there anything else a person should do before doing this.

The leafblower trick should be done at the end of the stove cleaning. Make sure to run a brush through the flue before doing the leafblower.

The leafblower is no replacement to regular cleaning. It is an added tool to aid in removing any excess "hiiden" ash.

I have pavers stacked up next to my Quads vent (direct vent) and because I can rest the leafblower on these pavers, I run the vent brush 1st and run the leafblower the entire time I clean (on low/has 6 settings) then when I am done, I crank it to High and then open and close the door a few times.

Remember, clean stove 1st and run vent brush, then final step is leafblower. Hope this helps.

My first post here, and I am glad to be a part of the community. I did my first leaf blower clean-out (just hit one ton burned) this past Tuesday on my Quad Sante Fe insert, and it went great. I have 28' of 3" liner that I reamed out from both the bottom and top, then hooked up my leaf blower on the roof (thanks to the fine people in this forum for the directions), and I was amazed at the crap it blew out. Runs like a charm now. I used a 4" - 3" PVC converter taped to the bottom of my blower, and then a 3" rubber coupling (with the metal bands removed) to connect the liner to the blower, also duct-taped up. I have two-ton of Somersets stacked in my garage, and I am hoping it takes me through the winter, though I have a feeling I will need a couple more ton. Thanks again for being here, and I look forward to more interactions with everyone here.

ChesterDogs said:
My first post here, and I am glad to be a part of the community. I did my first leaf blower clean-out (just hit one ton burned) this past Tuesday on my Quad Sante Fe insert, and it went great. I have 28' of 3" liner that I reamed out from both the bottom and top, then hooked up my leaf blower on the roof (thanks to the fine people in this forum for the directions), and I was amazed at the crap it blew out. Runs like a charm now. I used a 4" - 3" PVC converter taped to the bottom of my blower, and then a 3" rubber coupling (with the metal bands removed) to connect the liner to the blower, also duct-taped up. I have two-ton of Somersets stacked in my garage, and I am hoping it takes me through the winter, though I have a feeling I will need a couple more ton. Thanks again for being here, and I look forward to more interactions with everyone here.

Sounds like another leafblower success story. Congratulations and welcome to the Forum.

If I wasn't so ADD, I would have remembered to pull the hose on my vacuum switch. Everything appears to be working ok for now, so no harm no foul. Will make sure I do it at my next 1-ton cleaning. This is a great resource, thanks again to everyone.

Depending upon the leaf blower used it will produce between 4 and 20 times the air flow that the combustion blower running full out produces.

It will not over spin the combustion blower and likely not affect a decent vacuum switch but removing the hose from the barb will eliminate any possibility that it can harm the vacuum switch. Personally I do not remove the vacuum line.

newbie here and was wondering if anyone has a picture of the vacuum switch and hose for a harman accentra insert had my stove all of a week and love it but trying to get all the info on doing a proper cleaning before its time to do it thanks

glenc0322 said:
newbie here and was wondering if anyone has a picture of the vacuum switch and hose for a harman accentra insert had my stove all of a week and love it but trying to get all the info on doing a proper cleaning before its time to do it thanks

Read your manual, the freestanding version of your stove has a diagram on page 25 don't know about your stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.