leaf blower trick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shelbylul

Jan 2, 2010
L.I. New York
Hey,
I'll be doing my yearly cleaning this week and I'm curious about the "leaf blower " trick. I have a Harman insert and my house is a two story colonial. Does this mean I'm supposed to climb up the roof take the cap off the chimney and stick the suction side of the blower in it? Is that worth it or is there an easier way?

Thanks, Bill

Harman Accentra aug.09 install

shelbylul said:
Hey,
I'll be doing my yearly cleaning this week and I'm curious about the "leaf blower " trick. I have a Harman insert and my house is a two story colonial. Does this mean I'm supposed to climb up the roof take the cap off the chimney and stick the suction side of the blower in it? Is that worth it or is there an easier way?

Thanks, Bill

Make the climb or pull it outside... a real pain, I know. but it DOES work well.

Harman Accentra aug.09 install

If the buildup inside the pipe is not too bad, you can take the venting loose from inside the home at rear of stove and insert a powerful shop vac in reverse and blow most of it out the top. This will keep you from having to climb to the top. Have someone stand outside and watch the ash blow out over the yard. Hopefully your neighbors aren't too close that is reaches their cars, patio or pool. Oh well, if they come home to a slight grey hugh in the pool I really don't know what you could tell them. :)

Pot ash from a distant volcano reached the jet stream and decided to fall in their yard. :) :)

AR

I climb up on the roof to do it.
Also feel like I did a better job after.

Attachments

• 2009_0305Image0007.jpg
    2009_0305Image0007.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 425
There is no easy way when its on a roof but it will really clean out the stove if you can get up there and use a leaf blower.

Status
Not open for further replies.