Leaf Blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KindredSpiritzz

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2013
appleton, wi
Cleaned the chimney today from the bottom up by sticking the leaf blower in there. After an initial kick back of soot it worked amazingly well. I think for next time i'll modify a piece of pipe with a hole just big enough for the blower end to eliminate the blow back. I did run a brush down it first but it was a lot easier this way so i was happy.

Wow, that's the first time I've heard of that with a wood stove-usually it's a pellet stove. You did this outside, I presume?

Nice looking roof. :oops:

roofs black anyways, blends right in. I was surprised there wasnt alot on the roof tho, we had a good stiff breeze so i think that helped. I think with a few tweaks i might be on to something.

Not that I plan to try but... I am thinking a modified attachment made from PVC with a Blower hose hook up and hole for the brush rod that works at the same time could work sweet. Especially if you planned your attack on a windy day.

I will say I immediately thought of "Carl" in Caddyshack!! Cannon Ball coming!!!

"Mind if I play through?"

Cleaned the chimney today from the bottom up by sticking the leaf blower in there. After an initial kick back of soot it worked amazingly well. I think for next time i'll modify a piece of pipe with a hole just big enough for the blower end to eliminate the blow back. I did run a brush down it first but it was a lot easier this way so i was happy.

I think you dusted the chimney. If there was any serious creosote, I doubt you could have cleaned it.

I think you dusted the chimney. If there was any serious creosote, I doubt you could have cleaned it.

If there was serious creosote brushed wouldn't have cleaned it either.

like i said, i ran the brush down it first. Problem i have is all the soot drops and sits in the bottom bend of the SS liner and its a pain to get out cause i don't have much room to work and i cant see what im doing when i try to vacuum it out. So much easier to just blast the remaining stuff right back out. I am curious to see just how it would work using just the leaf blower and no brush next time but will run the brush down if need be. In that chimney all i get is that real powdery buildup that comes off real easy.

like i said, i ran the brush down it first. Problem i have is all the soot drops and sits in the bottom bend of the SS liner and its a pain to get out cause i don't have much room to work and i cant see what im doing when i try to vacuum it out. So much easier to just blast the remaining stuff right back out. I am curious to see just how it would work using just the leaf blower and no brush next time but will run the brush down if need be. In that chimney all i get is that real powdery buildup that comes off real easy.

If it is all powder, blowing alone may work...

Status
Not open for further replies.