leaf blower???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timbo

Oct 9, 2009
Concord area, NH
OK, I'll admit freely that I'm a real greenhorn when it comes to these new fangled pellet stoves. I have been reading through these posts and every once in a while I come across someone cleaning one with a leaf blower...I've searched here on the forum for something other than "I did the leaf blower trick"...but couldn't find anything definitive.

I'm game, what is the leaf blower trick?

...or can someone link me to the explanation?

Thanks!

timbo said:
OK, I'll admit freely that I'm a real greenhorn when it comes to these new fangled pellet stoves. I have been reading through these posts and every once in a while I come across someone cleaning one with a leaf blower...I've searched here on the forum for something other than "I did the leaf blower trick"...but couldn't find anything definitive.

Thanks!
i just did it today for the first time....worked great!

timbo said:

Thanks!
Here you go.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/29847/

wil said:
timbo said:

Thanks!
Here you go.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/29847/

Dang that wil is quick!

Thanks for the link!

That looks like fun! Unfortunately in my case, I have a 20' piece of 4" stainless flex liner going to the top of my fieldstone chimney....I'm not sure this will work in my situation.

The tee connection to my stove is inside the fireplace so my wife would probably take a dim view of me releasing that cloud of ashes and dust into the house. Again, I must admit...it does look like fun though.

If you can scramble to the top of thet chimney(leave the tee cap on)? It will still work. Just need a longer cord!

Only a good idea if you have a simple outside vent, most of us run liners to top of chimney, no big deal to pull stove forward and remove T cap and suck ash as it fall's out of pipe, i have yet to clean my stove for this season and it's getting cold!!

timbo said:
Thanks for the link!

That looks like fun! Unfortunately in my case, I have a 20' piece of 4" stainless flex liner going to the top of my fieldstone chimney....I'm not sure this will work in my situation.

The tee connection to my stove is inside the fireplace so my wife would probably take a dim view of me releasing that cloud of ashes and dust into the house. Again, I must admit...it does look like fun though.
heres mine, no field stone but it is a 2 story home with about 26' of vent.

Attachments

• 2009_0305Image0007.jpg
    2009_0305Image0007.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,008
Thanks for the info, I was wondering about that myself. Here is what might be an odd,odd,odd question. My stove is in the basement, vented into a chimney, I don't do heights, but I have a hobby woodshop. Any reason I Couldn't plug my dust collector into the stove and do it that way? the dust collector is 1200CFM with a 2 micron canister and I have plenty of flex hose to make the connection.
JB

jbmaine said:
.....the dust collector is 1200CFM with a 2 micron canister and I have plenty of flex hose to make the connection.
JB

If I had that setup, I'd sure as heck give it a try. Report back to us on how it works.

no pane said:
timbo said:
Thanks for the link!

Now THAT looks like fun! It looks like the old days when I was on the USS Forrestal and it would blow out it's stacks occasionally, albeit this is on a much smaller scale, but still.... I'm definitely going to have to try that someday. I can't wait to see what the neighbors will say. I'll make sure they're in their backyard so they can get the full view of my antics...

no pane said:
timbo said:
Thanks for the link!

That's such a great pic!

I noticed a thread last year about the leaf blower, but I just assumed that using a 3" vent pipe brush was enough. Well when I saw the thread again yesterday I decided to give it a try....and now I kick myself for waiting to long. The flame is more active and it took me less time than a normal vac out cleaning. Yahoo!!!

no pane said:
timbo said:
Thanks for the link!

A town inspector or a irate neighbor see's that and you get a fat fine!!

it all settles to the ground just the same as dumping ash in my yard.
besides I live in BFE don't have any neighbors.

I'm glad so many of you guys (and gals) have taken advantage of this little technique... glad to share it.

I will try this myself this weekend...could someone post a more detailed pic or 2 of the adaptor so i can better see what i need to buy?

Clay H said:
I will try this myself this weekend...could someone post a more detailed pic or 2 of the adaptor so i can better see what i need to buy?

Clay... take a good look at my post that's been linked here... I made mine from a simple stove pipe connector and a chunk of 4" PVC.

krooser said:
Clay H said:

Clay... take a good look at my post that's been linked here... I made mine from a simple stove pipe connector and a chunk of 4" PVC.
yea, I saw that but there's a pic missing and the other one shows it on the vent with the blower attached and I can't see the whole adaptor.

Clay H said:
krooser said:
Clay H said:

yea, I saw that but there's a pic missing and the other one shows it on the vent with the blower attached and I can't see the whole adaptor.

I'll snap another pic for you....

UPDATE...Here ya go....

100_0522.jpg

100_0523.gif

100_0524.gif

The metal part is s simple stove pipe connector... the PVC is just a chunk of waste pipe and the "silver" part at the end of the PVC is just some aluminum tape I wrapped around the PVC to make a snug fit as it goes into the blower. I also "notched" the PVC to clear two "nubs" inside the blower's suction side.

Thanks for the pics, i'll have to make me something like this...definately would make my life easier cleaning the vent...
My vent cap comes off leaving a male pipe end so i would need a female pipe connector but i can work that out eay enough. And i think mine is 3" rather than 4"

hehe, No Pane that pic def rocks!

I have never had the need or desire to get up on my roof and do that and even if I
wanted to I couldn't. My rain cap is practically welded to the stove pipe up there and
it would take mangling it to remove it. (My brother secured it heavy with silicone when we installed)
Luckily the disassembly/cleaning I perform on this stove twice a season has kept
the stove running A+ with a very lively flame.
conga.gif

Xena said:
....I have never had the need or desire to get up on my roof.....

I agree 100%, and besides:

1. I'm afraid of heights

2. I'm venting my stove into 8" stove pipe from previous woodstove.....no adapter's gonna work w/ that

3. did I say I'm afraid of heights???
:ahhh:

can't wait to try this! will go to the home depot for parts to start this weekend. Did I see right that you open & close the door on the stove??? Seems strange to me, but i suppose it can't hurt either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.