leaf blower???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
caledoniacars said:
can't wait to try this! will go to the home depot for parts to start this weekend. Did I see right that you open & close the door on the stove??? Seems strange to me, but i suppose it can't hurt either way.

Yes, I have my wife do it while I have the blower running. It will jog out a little extra ash. If you ever tried clearing a clogged vacuum hose. Kinda the same. Hand over hose-Build vacuum. Release hand-large amount of air rushes into the hose. Clog goes into the vacuum. Except clog in stove = Big black cloud! POOF!

I also disconnect my vacuum switch tube. So the air is sucked through it and I don't damage my switch(not taking any chances).

jay

I like it!

I'm heading to HD tomorrow to get a cheap-o leaf blower.... I have no need for one (no leaf problems around my yard) so this thing will be dedicated for pellet stove cleaning. :)

mainegeek said:
I like it!

I'm heading to HD tomorrow to get a cheap-o leaf blower.... I have no need for one (no leaf problems around my yard) so this thing will be dedicated for pellet stove cleaning. :)

Paid less than $30.00 for mine... make sure it has vacuum capability.

measure your vent pipe diameter and pick-up the supplies you'll need to make the adapter, too.

krooser said:

measure your vent pipe diameter and pick-up the supplies you'll need to make the adapter, too.

One thing I'm confused about.... My stove runs horizontal out the wall for about three feet. Then there is a 90 that runs it vertical for about 4 feet. The clean out is at the bottom of the 90 (facing down). Should I connect the leaf blower to this clean out and, if so, do I need to block or disconnect the vertical run? Or should I pull out the ladder, take the hood off the top of the flue and attach to the top of the flue leaving the clean out on?

jtakeman said:
caledoniacars said:
can't wait to try this! will go to the home depot for parts to start this weekend. Did I see right that you open & close the door on the stove??? Seems strange to me, but i suppose it can't hurt either way.

Yes, I have my wife do it while I have the blower running. It will jog out a little extra ash. If you ever tried clearing a clogged vacuum hose. Kinda the same. Hand over hose-Build vacuum. Release hand-large amount of air rushes into the hose. Clog goes into the vacuum. Except clog in stove = Big black cloud! POOF!

I also disconnect my vacuum switch tube. So the air is sucked through it and I don't damage my switch(not taking any chances).

jay

great advice Jay. May I add that while I don't (can't) do the leaf blower thing, for the people that do, I suggest opening the front door of your stove before starting, remove any firebrick or panels, and give the bare exposed metal surfaces a good tapping with a small hammer, and then close the door.....it really help to dislodge ash stuck in places you can't see.....be amazed what extra comes out.

mainegeek said:
krooser said:

One thing I'm confused about.... My stove runs horizontal out the wall for about three feet. Then there is a 90 that runs it vertical for about 4 feet. The clean out is at the bottom of the 90 (facing down). Should I connect the leaf blower to this clean out and, if so, do I need to block or disconnect the vertical run? Or should I pull out the ladder, take the hood off the top of the flue and attach to the top of the flue leaving the clean out on?

I have the same setup, 6 ft up instead of 4, and planned on blocking the top and hooking my blower to the tee on the bottom. My yard is slanting down and it's tough to get the ladder in a position that feels safe so I'm not climbing a ladder to hook up to the top. I had a hard enough time installing the vent.

well i fabbed up the PVC portion of this gizmo, just need to go to Lowes and get a metal pipe adaptor...WOOT!

I can't wait to try this on the Harman PB105 pellet boiler I'm installing right now! I have a 7 acre back yard that eagerly awaits the black cloud. The only modification I need to make is I have 4" Simpson piping so I'll need to McGuyver a 4" sucking capability, thus the blower I get will need to be up for the increased CFM task...no problem. I see storm clouds on the horizon...

Pellet-King said:
no pane said:
timbo said:
Thanks for the link!

That looks like fun! Unfortunately in my case, I have a 20' piece of 4" stainless flex liner going to the top of my fieldstone chimney....I'm not sure this will work in my situation.

The tee connection to my stove is inside the fireplace so my wife would probably take a dim view of me releasing that cloud of ashes and dust into the house. Again, I must admit...it does look like fun though.
heres mine, no field stone but it is a 2 story home with about 26' of vent.

A town inspector or a irate neighbor see's that and you get a fat fine!!

This pale's in comparison to harm done to the environment to the amount of jet fuel that I've dumped in flight during failed air refueling missions.

you really dont need to build any adapter.....just buy a 3" to 4" fernco

it fits over the 3 inch pipe perfectly, and the 4 inch side fits over the vac portion of the 3 blowers ive tryed it with

Status
Not open for further replies.