Leaf problem in wood stacks.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
I've said this before and just a bit ago about how folks post that they have a problem with leaf drop and the leaves getting wet and making a mess of the wood stacks. This is a foreign happening to me because many times we stack right under trees. I have several stacks that way right now. Even the wood we plan on burning this coming winter has been under some maples since it was stacked in April, 2010.

Of course it really makes me curious as to the why some folks have the problem and some don't. I am wondering if perhaps it is with the folks that stack in single rows and the rows are only a foot or sometimes less apart whereas we do not stack in single rows and our stacks are further apart.

We stack normally with 3 rows together then leave enough room to walk between that stack and the next one. As stated, leaf drop is no problem at all with us. Does anyone have some other ideas?

I know most have seen some of our stacks but here is one in case newcomers have not seen this.

Wood-2009f.JPG

Dennis, I just top cover mine with old roofing metal as soon as it's stacked. It's usually stacked for 3-5 years so it isn't like the top covering will affect the drying time . It's mostly Larch needles that We're dealing with and they create a soggy mess if the get down in the stacks .

Not yet had a problem with pine needles either.

Nixon, on the top covering, we do that too but stack in early spring and top cover usually late November or early December. By then all the oak leaves have fallen (except some white oaks) but they blow away with a good wind.

That is good looking wood, sir!

I was doing a bit of splitting today and your woodlot is my dream.

(I have nothing to add on the leaf issue -- I've never had that problem.)

I've never had a leaf problem. I stack in single rows, not covered. Whatever falls on the stacks blows off.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Thank you. Most of that wood has been burned but this coming winter's wood will come from some of those stacks and we'll still have a bit more left for the following year. Most of it is white ash but there is also some elm and soft maple in there too.

My stacks are just outside the woodline. In autumn, leaves fall, dry out and blow away. Most of my stacks are top covered.
A lot of catkins fall off our trees in the spring, and that stuff won't blow off like leaves. If I stack after that, I may leave it uncovered for the summer, then cover before the leaves fly. I've got a few double-row stacks that have some build-up of leaves between the rows so I'll get that stuff out soon with a blower. Eventually I'll have some covers that can span both rows so that doesn't happen....maybe some rubber roofing.

Reactions: WellSeasoned
I wonder if the maple leaves are big enough to blow off before they dry up and work their way down into the stacks. I have some 4' wide stacks under a cherry tree and those small leaves seem to work their way down in - I haven't burned anything from there yet so I don't know if it'll be a problem or not, but there's enough leaf material down in to make me wonder.

Stacks looking great, as always, Dennis!!

Just started burning 24/7 this year and i have had a problem with leaves. There seem to be clumps of them in some of the wood. especially at the far end of my stacks. the problem is once they are in there its hard for them to escape. So far this year its been a bit hit and miss regards the wood. we have good wood and then the next row for whatever reason its not as good even though its been in the stack exactly the same amount of time and it 'looks' the same type of wood. not too concerned as this year is nearly over next year will be much better. The difference between the good wood and not so good is unbelievable you really do have to feel the difference to appreciate the difference.

I have to stack all mine in one lot of rows. I think i have at least 25 rows together x 4 pallets sometime 5 pallets wide. i will leave it like this for the coming summer and then before winter next year (May 2014) i will move a full season into the wood shed. sounds like a plan - but i have to build the shed first.....;)

The second picture was January (Summer) this year, the first picture was a couple of weeks ago - you can tell how much wood i have used i estimate i will use less than 20% this year - which will mean at least another 4 years supply as things can only get better. The third picture is what i have left..... ==c

CAM00190.jpgCAM00109.jpgCAM00191.jpg

I don't sweat the small stuff in life . . . if my stacks end up with some pine needles and leafs on them so be it . . . that one spot may accumulate a bit of moisture, but then again a few days in the sun and wind and it is dry again. As for how pretty my stacks are with the leafs on them . . . my goal has never been to have my woodstacks win a beauty contest.

Never understood the leaf problem thing but then again there is all sorts of things posted on here that dont make a lot of sense.

Reactions: basod
Just started burning 24/7 this year and i have had a problem with leaves. There seem to be clumps of them in some of the wood. especially at the far end of my stacks. the problem is once they are in there its hard for them to escape. So far this year its been a bit hit and miss regards the wood. we have good wood and then the next row for whatever reason its not as good even though its been in the stack exactly the same amount of time and it 'looks' the same type of wood. not too concerned as this year is nearly over next year will be much better. The difference between the good wood and not so good is unbelievable you really do have to feel the difference to appreciate the difference.

I have to stack all mine in one lot of rows. I think i have at least 25 rows together x 4 pallets sometime 5 pallets wide. i will leave it like this for the coming summer and then before winter next year (May 2014) i will move a full season into the wood shed. sounds like a plan - but i have to build the shed first.....;)

The second picture was January (Summer) this year, the first picture was a couple of weeks ago - you can tell how much wood i have used i estimate i will use less than 20% this year - which will mean at least another 4 years supply as things can only get better. The third picture is what i have left..... ==c

With those leaves in a clump, perhaps that was a nest for some critters. We find some and they usually turn out to be a squirrel nest. They make them, have their young then leave.

We don't have squirrels here - or at least i've never seen them - but whatever was 'squatting' in there they've left a mess and like somebody else mentioned its like mulch which never seems to dry out. my next problem is some of the types of bark - once that gets wet it's like a sponge and it takes forever to dry out but its a nightmare to take off when green easy once its dried out.

I don't have problems with leaves but I cover my stacks before the leaves fall, this year I have some little berries falling onto my stacks, I trim back the branches near my stacks to get maximum sun but this sprouted up this year. If I didn't cover my stacks Id have a ton of leaves falling into my piles and getting wedged in between, had that happen the first year. Not everyone has a large lot with a big clearing of perfectly level ground to pile out wood so we have to make due with what we have and for me that means making racks and leveling the racks.

Reactions: Mitch Newton
It may be that the clumps of leaves are just not much of a problem even where it does happen, and are wrongly being blamed for the fact that wood isn't drying as fast as hoped. I'm sure some people find clumps of damp plant matter in the stacks, but I doubt it filters down very far or packs every nook and cranny of the stacks.

I think it is a matter of how light & airy or densely packed the low level vegetation is in your area, how well the soil drains, the climate, the amount of leaves, and type of leaves that are falling.

Where I live, if I do not rake out the flower beds & ground cover once the leaves have dropped I get a couple inches of thick leaf mulch tied up that is difficult to remove.

The leaves from my Japanesse maples are quick to dry out & break down, but those from my sassafras and maples clump up once rained on.

Where I have the most leaf clumpage, I also have shrubs that block the wind from drying out the leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.