Leaf Spring Levaling Kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shane said:
Hauling pellets is tough on my suspension (1995 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 w/ 360) I was wondering if anyone has experience with the leaf spring levaling kits. Do they work well/worth the money?
http://www.4wheelparts.com/PLT4109T8T2.aspx

I'd be considering the super duty rear ones listed at the bottom of the page.

I have used them before and works fine, though installation takes some time. Just a suggestion to save you money and time, ever think of hauling fewer bags of pellets for safety reasons ?? ??

Buy them by the Pallet which is 60 bags wrapped nicely weatherproof etc. Breaking them down ads exponentially to my fuel and time usage to haul my pellets. Plus I always like fixing up my truck :)

Shane said:
Buy them by the Pallet which is 60 bags wrapped nicely weatherproof etc. Breaking them down ads exponentially to my fuel and time usage to haul my pellets. Plus I always like fixing up my truck :)

Shane...
...Having said the above "fixin my truck"...you just might be "gittin' what you wished for" if you aren't carefull. lol :)

Leveling the springs might be "a double edged sword". IMHO spring levelers' and all the other gizzmo's should be considered to "increase" handling vs. loading on more weight. Again...a double edged sword. You can "beef up" the springs all you want...you are still riding on the same wheel bearings, seals, brake components and numerous other parts. Generally people learn a valuable (and costly) lesson this way...stiffening the springs usually just transmits more "abuse" to more vulnerable parts when carrying heavy loads.

Honestly...my advice to you...consider (seriously)hauling with a trailer, your truck will "thank you" for it. :)

keyman512us said:
Shane said:

Shane...
...Having said the above "fixin my truck"...you just might be "gittin' what you wished for" if you aren't carefull. lol :)

Leveling the springs might be "a double edged sword". IMHO spring levelers' and all the other gizzmo's should be considered to "increase" handling vs. loading on more weight. Again...a double edged sword. You can "beef up" the springs all you want...you are still riding on the same wheel bearings, seals, brake components and numerous other parts. Generally people learn a valuable (and costly) lesson this way...stiffening the springs usually just transmits more "abuse" to more vulnerable parts when carrying heavy loads.

Honestly...my advice to you...consider (seriously)hauling with a trailer, your truck will "thank you" for it. :)

Also the tire load rating You stiffin up that spring you may loose traction in wet conditions. the truck may not handle quite the same without it being loaded you rear end can kick out then you need to change shocks as well I like Keymans idea of getting a trailer

Maybe I will look at a trailer instead. It's just a matter of 1k vs. 350 bucks. As for the handling empty I think it would be ok since these are airbags and can be deflated when not being used.

Status
Not open for further replies.