1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Leak around sliding glass door

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by wahoowad, Jan 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wahoowad

wahoowad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Virginia
    I have a small outside air leak I want to fix at the base of one of my sliding glass doors. The door slides (closes) into the weatherstripping of the frame properly at the top and middle, but I can see a sliver of light and feel the air coming in at the bottom. Maybe 4 inches. Do sliding glass doors have any kind of adjustment so I can get a more uniform fit with the frame where it seals? I'm thinking not but thought I'd ask.

Is there anything else to try? I don't think I can fit any different weatherstripping into the door. The weatherstripping is OK, the door just doesn't slide into it all the way to seal out the air leak.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. nshif

nshif New Member

Loc:
    Pioneer, Ca (near Lake Tahoe)
    At the bottom of each ouside frame edge the should be a hole you can insert a screwdriver ( usually phillips ) into and raise or lower the rollers. If they are really old you may need to remove the slider and replace the rollers from the bottom.
  3. crazy_dan

crazy_dan New Member

Loc:
    Missouri
    removeable caulk sold in tubes like regular caulk
  4. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Right now I have a rolled up towel on mine.
  5. pegdot

pegdot New Member

Loc:
    Upstate, SC
    Houses settle. That's a fact but I believe it's a good idea to investigate any time you notice a change like this in a door. It's probably nothing but it sure wouldn't hurt to examine your door sill and make sure that you don't have rot starting in that area. As Nshif said adjusting the rollers will likely take care of the gap.
  6. wahoowad

wahoowad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Virginia
    I have two screws near the bottom of the sliding glass door. I'm hoping one of these is the adjustment screw. I'm worried the one I turn might be screw holding things together and it either comes loose or falls apart. I've never had the door off to investigate the rollers up underneath.
  7. nshif

nshif New Member

Loc:
    You should be able to lift the door up and remove the bottom from the track then slide the top out . put it on its side and look from the bottom and you should be able to see the rollers. This should tell you if A) one is worn out or B) which screw will adjust it up or down
  8. nshif

nshif New Member

Loc:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.