Leak in my fuel line!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hilly said:
Well, I got a prebent section of fuel line from the dealer and went to work. The rear comes off simply by pressing in two tabs, but the front was a quick-release fitting, that isn't unless you have the right tool. $20 later I had the correct tool and in about thirty minutes I had the old line off and the new one installed. It feels great to save a bunch of money and to have the ability to do-it-yourself, it's even better when my do-it-yourself work doesn't cost me four times extra because I create other problems to fix!

I did find something odd with the old fuel line though. Where it was leaking had been, at one time, wrapped with some type of tape. My guess is that while it was under warranty the dealership saw the leak and did a quickie fix to it. Anyone heard of this before?

Thanks for all the advice.

Methinks the tape might be the cause of the corrosion, not the other way around. I doubt an mechanic in his right mind would try to tape a fuel line.

Chris

Are you telling me they sold you a piece of preformed metal fuel line for 20 bucks? From a dealer no less. I bet the tool was 20 right? Hey you are way better off than me. I have both the front and back bumpers and all the goodies ripped off. The trailer hitch managed to hold enough nasty wet sand and salt to eat up the frame underneath it . That will take 10 lbs of real steel and some serious welding to get back into shape again. Another 800 for the low mileage used engine and a lot of paint undercoat and hassle and the pig will be ready for another 4 or 5 years in the tundra.
You are right about the tape. Tape, folds crevices or any other place that holds the sand and road grime in place will greatly accelerate rusting. Clean them up with a piece of sandpaper steel wool or scotchbrite pad, a dremel tool is handy too. Spray or paint some primer on there and finally paint and it with any sort of metal paint and you are done.I usually use rustolium as its fairly good paint for that purpose and priced right. While the engine is out of mine I am gonna touch up al the small rust spots prime paint and undercoat the entire engine compartment while its easy to get at. Maintenance is better than payments.......................

Yeah, the tool was $20, the stainless, prebent line was $70 so I figure I saved at least $100 on the repair and that's far less than a monthly payment! The jeep may not be great on gas, but it's certainly easy to work on.

Status
Not open for further replies.