1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Leak pass Heat exchangers.

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by huffdawg, Feb 10, 2013.

1. huffdawg

huffdawg Minister of Fire

Loc:
    British Columbia Canada
    Any members use leak Pass heat exchangers?Just curious .

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Fred61

Fred61 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeastern Vt.
    I wouldn't use anything that has the word leak in it;lol
    Taylor Sutherland likes this.
  3. huffdawg

Loc:
    British Columbia Canada
    They are made to protect against domestic water contamination from a leak in the exchanger. IE. to stop boiler treatment chemicals from getting into your domestic water in the event of leak inside exchanger. Maybe they are used more in commercial applications.
  4. Karl_northwind

Karl_northwind Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Wi.
    Are you thinking about a Double Wall heat exchanger? (with leak detection)
    we use AIC or GEA for doublewall heat exchangers when we need them.
  5. huffdawg

Loc:
    British Columbia Canada
    Yes thats what i'm refering too. What does the doublewall mean? 2 plates with a void in the center. what applications do you use them in. Do you use them to meet code.

I work on a passenger ship ,we have 2 alpha laval plate type heat exchangers for dhw. which are heated from the jacket water from the the main engines and generators. They are single wall. We are required by regulation to have backflow preventers on all domestic water fixtures including the make-up water for the HVAC system. I'm surprised that we don't have protection at the heat exchangers.

Huff
  6. BoilerMan

BoilerMan Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    I think the double wall comes at the cost of an efficiency hit. The air space is vented to atmosphere so if either plate fails you get a leak at the vent location for indication.

TS
  7. Karl_northwind

Karl_northwind Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Wi.
    We don't need to use them in Wi. if the fluid on the other side of the hx from the dhw is "practically nontoxic" and the solar antifreezes we use qualify. they're a lot more expensive, and less efficient. we usually have to run really close approach temps, so the single wall is the only way to go. we usually run our solar systems at lower than DHW pressures anyway.