Leaking cleanout door....ok or not

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pro5oh

Aug 19, 2008
downeast Maine
Hello all, found something the other day which I never thought of as being a problem. My chimney clean out door is rusty and and has 1/8" gaps at its sealing surface. I've also had somewhat of a draft issue since I stared burning wood. How important is it that I slicone this door shut?

You definitely want to seal that door shut. When open it allows air to mix with your hot flu gasses and slows down your draft.
You'll notice a difference after you get that thing sealed.

Greybeard said:
Hello all, found something the other day which I never thought of as being a problem. My chimney clean out door is rusty and and has 1/8" gaps at its sealing surface. I've also had somewhat of a draft issue since I stared burning wood. How important is it that I slicone this door shut?

Yep, seal it one way or another. You'll notice a difference immediately. I had the same issue on mine and was able to stuff some spare stove gasketing in there and solve the problem but silicone is probably a better fix.

sealed it. Gotta wait and see !!!!

Buy a replacement cleanout door, which comes with a door frame and cement it in using refractory cement and a margin trowel.. Your problems will be over, at least in your lifetime.

I thought I read on another thread where someone recomended putting insulation in the clean out door. I have the same problem with mine and would like to be able to open it without a lot of hassle. Also, I'm afraid that when it's fridgid outside that cracking the silicone open might cause some other damage..

Is the insulation thing ok to do, and if so, what type of insulation would you put in there?

Thanks
Mike

I just did mine with refactory cement.

JoeyJ said:
Buy a replacement cleanout door, which comes with a door frame and cement it in using refractory cement and a margin trowel.. You problems will be over, at least in your lifetime.

Ats what mine is. They are not, or the one I have, does not have a good seal and some rope seal or silicone is a quicker fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.